Sunday, July 31, 2011

365 Doodles - Day 211

This is Dead Astaire, a painting I've completed in the past two days. My original inspiration was this sketch:

I did it during a live sketching session at the Alt Wycombe Festival earlier this year. Of all the sketches I did, I only kept a couple. This was one of them. I guess it was inspired by the people around me dressed, as they were, as zombies and goths and festooned with extraordinary outfits and amazing tattoos. Anyway, I transferred the drawing to the canvas and, this time, decided to do something a bit different and paint a coloured background. Lots of reds and yellows to make it look like the fires of Hell.

I needed to apply a couple of coats to get the depth of colour I wanted:

Then I began blocking in the figure using raw white and black:

Then I started to build in the shading:

I then realised that his lower jaw was completely skew-whiff (is that how you spell it?) and that his left foot looked like a baguette. So I painted those areas out with white matt emulsion (great covering power) and then repainted the fiery background. Then I repainted the jaw and foot. Hey Presto! The finished article.

No comments: