Saturday, July 23, 2011

365 Doodles - Day 204

After the events in Oslo and the news that Amy Winehouse has been found dead aged just 27, I find myself unable to post anything jolly. With famine raging in Africa and the whole phone hacking scandal getting larger and more Watergate-ish every day, the world seems unremittingly cruel and sad.

So here's a doodle from a happier, less-complicated and innocent time. It is, in fact, the oldest drawing by me that still exists (that I know of). Drawn when I was six way back in 1967.

It occurs to me that when I drew this there was no internet, no mobile phones, no 24 Hour News Channels, only three TV channels and local papers only reported events that happened the week before. Very little of the outside world affected my life. Life was an adventure; I was thrilled by the novelty of each new discovery and I looked to the future with a sense of wonder. Everything was going to be brilliant.

It still can be of course. Let's all wish for happier days to come.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Oh I say! look @ the knees on that horsey! lovely :)(fed up of hearing miserable news, let's celebrate a childish drawing!)xx

carol/rosietspecs said...

yes, i was touched by all the bad & sad news this week too ((hugs))) xxx >>>got no answers<< love the horse ,its fab you still have your doodles from then, little did you know! ..I have a picture somewhere of me dressed up as a nurse age about 5 & yes i did nursing for a while ! mind you i also had a pic of me playing with a dolls pram & I had 3 kids !wonder how many guys who had mecanno went onto to be architects? tc xxx