Wednesday, July 27, 2011

100/100 for good cause

Yesterday evening I went to the Biscuit Factory in Shoreditch, East London, for a private view event to launch The 100 Project.

The 100 Project is a charitable initiative that aims to nurture creative talent by putting 100 young people from the east end of London through a term at The Prince's Drawing School. The project has artists of today kindly donating work for auction to fund the artists of tomorrow. A few of them were there, demonstrating their skills with some life drawing of a faerie queen. With a bird.

Fifty two artists donated work this year and one piece will be auctioned every week for a year with a starting bid of £100 on each. They include some very big hitters including Pete Fowler, Jon Burgerman, David Shrigley, Alison Carmichael, Milton Glaser and Damien Hirst. Also among them was my good friend Mr Bingo. He's not pictured here due to camera shyness.

It's a very worthy cause and I was happy to support it. It was also nice to mingle among other people for whom art is the most important thing in their lives. It invigorated me; or maybe that was simply the fact that I was old enough to be everyone's dad and I was feeding off their energy like some osmotic enthusiasm vampire? Whatever the answer, I am all fired up again.

Now ... should I also let my beard grow to verdant Victorian magnificence? It does seem to be de rigeuer among this set. And it did the Impressionists no harm. Where's my smock and beret ...

No comments: