Sunday, June 19, 2011

Son of The Bad Music DJ - some Father's Day Shockers

Some very special music for all of you dads out there. We kick off with the fabulous Florence Foster Jenkins and her uncopyable version of Mozart's Queen of the Night from 'the Magic Flute'. It'll make you cry for all the wrong reasons.



Jenkins (1868-1944) was a rich American lady who indulged her passion for 'singing' soprano by hiring concert halls and the very best musicians. To my utter joy, she also recorded a lot of it too and the very best can be found on her wonderfully ironic collection The Glory of the Human Voice. She was utterly convinced of her own talent.

But now let's change pace and come bang up-to-date with a ballad from the indescribable vocal chords of William Hung, another person utterly convinced of his talent despite all evidence to the contrary. I believe I can fly. I wish I could too. About 30 miles away.



Chinese/American engineering student Hung was an auditionee for the third season of American Idol and won the hearts of people all over the world with his deliciously out-of-tune and unsyncopated version of Ricky Martin's She Bangs (Watch it here). After seeing him perform live before millions, the obvious thing to do was to give him a recording contract. This is the defining track from his first album. I've just listened to it again. I just laughed so hard it feels like I've been punched in the guts.

Happy Father's Day all!

1 comment:

Debby said...

my ears are bleeding.