Tuesday, June 14, 2011

365 Doodles - Day 165 - Now in 3D!

Just 200 more doodles to go! But, for today at least, we're going 3D. Here's a rather odd sculpture that I've been working on for a couple of months. I don't have a name yet (can you think of one?) but let's call him 'Painty the Snowman' for the time being:

So here's how he was made.

When I paint in acrylics, I use small polypropylene disks as palettes. By having several on the go at once, I don't get any transfer between colour mixes e.g. one disc can be flesh tones while another is for sky etc.. The 'discs' themselves are the lids of small plastic pots that come filled with mango chutney, onions and mint raita when I order from my local Indian takeaway. So I get double the joy from them.

Anyway, because acrylic paints are essentially plastics, they dry as a flexible 'skin' and can be peeled away from the lids and the lids used again and again (polypropylene is notoriously difficult to bond with anything else, which is why it's used for Tupperware and similar products). What I noticed was that when I peeled the paint away I was left with a kaleidoscopically coloured disc. Something told me not to throw these discs away and very soon I had a stack of them.

Then, some months down the road, I had a sudden inspiration ... what if I covered a football with the discs, making a colourful, small-scale planetoid? Maybe I could cover several balls of different sizes and create a Solar System? Then perhaps I could even hang them on bars and wires and create a kinetic sculpture; something like a child's mobile but much bigger? I began work ...

Unfortunately, I suffered a couple of setbacks. One of the balls burst, my dog took a shine to another and destroyed it and then two others started to slowly deflate due to dodgy valves. Soon I was left with just the one ball. Like Hitler. Har-de-har. So then I came up with another idea ... why not put a smaller ball on top of the remaining ball and make a painty snowman? To avoid the same deflation issues, I used two rigid plastic balls this time, adding some driftwood arms with hot glue. Then I started adding the paint discs.

I made a top hat from a dead CD and a gravy granules pot. The pipe and nose were fabricated from cardboard, paper clips and gaffer tape and the little bird was made from a two-part sculpting material called Milliput. The whole thing was then set onto a base made from a hard yellow dental plaster called Kaffir-D to provide a heavy, hard to break base.

Once the head was attached to the body using a two part epoxy glue, I covered the entire thing with the paint discs, filling in any holes and gaps with some very cheap acrylic paints bought in sets from the discount chain The Works.

The final result stands at 20 inches (51cms) tall from base to the top of his topper and I'm rather pleased with him.

Now ... about that name ...

No comments: