Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Making an exhibition of myself

Don't you just love that picture? It's a portrait of comedian Bill Bailey by a local artist from somewhere near where I live. It's warm and naive and funny and I love it. And it's extra funny now thanks to this brilliant photo by my friend Mark Page.

It's one of a hundred or so pieces currently on display at an open exhibition of artworks at the Octagon Gallery in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. The artists range from amateur dabblers through to seasoned pros whose work sells for thousands of pounds. And this year, for the very first time in my life, I'm exhibiting some of my paintings.

The laughing kid in the Sou'wester and big red boots is one of mine. And you may recognise six of my smaller canvasses in the photo below that. They include my take on Edward Lear's The Owl and the Pussycat and my 'Miaowsterchef' cat.

This giant piece, a view of Westminster Palace and the London Eye from the Hungerford Bridge is one of several pieces on display by renowned artist Robin Eckardt who can count people like the BeeGees among her client list. You can visit her site here.

There's a wonderful range of work on display in watercolour, oils, pastels, silk paintings, pencils, ceramics, metalwork and other media; something for everyone and most of it quite affordable. The exhibition runs at the Octagon Gallery, Eden, High Wycombe, until Saturday 21st May and entrance is free. If you're passing by, do pop in and say hello.

No comments: