Tuesday, May 17, 2011

365 Doodles - Day 137

An early example of the digital illustration style that I've developed over the past three years. Cat flap. Of course it is.

Although I do have Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator and a graphics tablet I will admit to not liking the results of drawing with them. Call me a dinosaur if you must but I find much of the art produced using those software packages to be too slick, horribly generic and hard to pin down to individual artists. It's supersmooth MP3 when I want the crackle and lumpiness of vinyl. I certainly wasn't very happy with what I was drawing (though I admit that could be due to my general level of computer numptiness) as it didn't look like my artwork any more. So I began to experiment and eventually found that drawing with a mouse actually made my artwork look 'shakier' and more ... well, drawn. I also preferred the simplicity of art software such as Paint Shop Pro and therefore went back to Version 6. The lack of bells and whistles, brushes and effects meant that I had to strip things back to the bare essential art skills - drawing and colouring. I really like the results I get now. Here's an example of the difference between my pen and ink style and the mouse-drawn digital style I've developed.



I'm very happy with how it's evolved and with the look of the finished pieces. They look like Stevyn Colgan drawings.

No comments: