Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Someone once stuck me on a Boris Bike ...

This is me being a bit silly and holding up a placard with a phrase that my old art teacher once told me: 'Every child is an artist - the problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up'. It's actually a misquote of something Pablo Picasso once said but it's always stayed with me. It's the idea that once the constraints of society and 'behaving like a grown up' settle on your shoulders you lose that naiveity and daringly creative spark you had as a kid. Sir Ken Robinson tells a great story about a teacher who asks a young pupil what she's drawing. 'I'm drawing a picture of God', she says. The teacher frowns. 'But no one knows what God looks like', he says. 'They will in a minute,' she replies. Kids take chances, push boundaries, dare to do what they like and to Hell with the world. I've tried to keep that sense of playfulness and wonder all my life. The photo was taken by the excellent Mario Cacciottolo (on Twitter he's @SOTMario), a BBC photo-journalist who runs an amazing website called Someone once told me on which people are invited to submit photos of themselves with a phrase, word, saw, proverb or piece of advice that was once given to them and which has meant a great deal. The stories they tell to accompany the photos are poignant, hilarious, tragic, uplifting - it's well worth a look. Anyone can submit a photo but Mario augments the collection with photos of people he meets, as happened with me. Do have a look. It's wonderful stuff.

1 comment:

nightwishfreak said...

I try to draw but no one is going to see my sketches on the web unless they can forget about perspective! Well done to that child - she has her own vision of something that not many people believe in nowadays. Do not inhibit the child's imagination.