Friday, February 04, 2011

Regrets - I've had a few

Last night I was invited to a private viewing of an art exhibition that opens today. It was at the Illustration Cupboard Gallery in Bury Street, St Jamess in London and featured the work of alumni of the famous Falmouth University School of Art. Many of the post-grads were there, almost all of them now working in the creative world.


I will admit to a feeling of lost opportunity. When I was a teenager, there were no universities in Cornwall and if you wanted to pursue higher education in art you went to Falmouth or Camborne Technical College. You can't throw a rock without hitting an artist in Cornwall so places were hard fought for. But I got a place at Camborne based on the strength of my portfolio and could go, dependent upon my exam results. My exam results were crap. Even my A Level Art was a not terribly good C grade. But, by then, I'd already made a drunk bet with my dad and off I went to join the police for 30 years. Now, when I look back and think how different things could have been I do feel a pang of regret that I never got to Uni.

That said, you can't go back and I'm now doing what I can to carve a career for myself in art. It's difficult because, not having come up through the art school route, I don't have the training, experience or contacts. That's why kind invites like Tom's are really great. I get to meet artists, publishers and editors and see just what is contemporary and funky in the art world.
There were some glorious pieces on display and I met some genuinely lovely and hugely talented people. A great evening. And I had a quick look at nearby Chinatown at the new year decorations.

Happy Year of the Rabbit chums. Kung hei fat choi!

No comments: