Thursday, February 03, 2011

365 Doodles - Day 34

Some themes turn up time and time again in my sketchpads. This blurry picture (above) is the only record I have of a truly awful colour illustration I did about 25 years ago of an alien living on a world with very low gravity. The science was poor, the creature was dire and derivative but I always kind of liked the weird twisty rock formation behind it. So about 12 years ago, I had another go and here it is:

This time the aliens were a bit more inventive being boneless and blobby but still pretty dire. But, again, I loved those rocks. So I got my pencil out during the final John Nettles Midsomer Murders last night to doodle those rocks again. The picture ended up looking like this (below). I love it! I may have to incorporate it into a painting.
You see? Doodle away at something for 25 years and eventually you'll get it right.

3 comments:

gnomentum said...

Wonderful! Very reminiscent of Roger Dean.. may I make a wild guess and say you listened to a lot of Yes back in the day?

Stevyn Colgan said...

You've sussed me out good and proper. That's my era and I still have a listen now and again. And all of Roger Dean's art books are on the shelf behind me ...

gnomentum said...

I've been told repeatedly that it shouldn't be my era, as I'm too young to remember it (only just!), but the inventiveness and creativity of prog, and of artists like Dean, have always appealed massively to me.

Though I feel ashamed to have so far missed the band you linked today. You'd think as Gary Moore has long been a hero of mine, and my love of progressive rock, would have pointed me to them long ago.