Friday, August 13, 2010

Great Scott

I went to an advance press screening of Scott Pilgrim this evening. I'm not the sort to dish out spoilers; there are plenty of other blogs and websites that will do that for you. All I will say is that I laughed from the start and carried on laughing throughout. It's funny, clever, sexy and stylish with amazing fight scenes, superb gags, some great performances - particularly from Sera and the other Culkin brother - and Edgar Wright should be very proud of himself. If you liked those smart wipes, brilliant segues and funky montages in Sean of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, you'll love what they look like with Hollywood money behind them rather than Film4 money.

It's a fun film for the slightly older small kid too; the fights are arcade-game silly, there's no gore, no swearing and not too much snogging either. But do see it at the cinema because it's outrageously loud and there is some great rock music to be enjoyed. I will also say this - the bass duel between Sera's Pilgrim and a wonderfully over-the-top Brandon Routh will NOT sound the same at home on your telly, no matter how good your sound system is. I felt those lower notes in my deepest dankest bowel.

Go and see it. It's out on the 25th August. There's a really good trailer here. And do yourselves a favour; read the original comic books. Amazon do a good deal on them here.

No comments: