Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Danosaur


A couple of days ago I finally broke through the 1000 followers barrier on Twitter and, to my delight, my thousandth was my good chum Dan Schreiber, co-creator and co-producer of BBC Radio 4's The Museum of Curiosity. Admittedly, he did cheat by first unfollowing me and then re-following. Nevertheless, I felt that some kind of prize was in order. This picture was the result: Dan in a bizarre hat doing an impossible interview with a brontosaurus. There is a reason why that's what he wanted I'm sure. all I know is that I'm rather pleased with it. Click on the pic to see a larger version.

Interestingly, if I ever got well-known enough to be a guest on his show, poor old brontosaurus could quite possibly be one of my donations. It was one of the iconic dinos of my childhood and it's such a shame that it no longer exists. What we had been calling 'brontosaurus' for decades turned out to be a diplodocus skull on an apatosaurus body and, because they were classified first, bronto had to go. Such a shame. I keep wishing that some researcher would re-use the name for a newly-discovered sauropod. That way Bronto will be back for good.

Dan's blog is here. The Museum of Curiosity blog is here. The BBC's MoC site is here.

No comments: