Tuesday, March 16, 2010

How did I ever have the time for a job?

It's just coming up to one calendar month since I left the cosy world of the monthly pay cheque and entered the slightly scary but infinitely more interesting and rewarding world of the freelance writer and artist. and what an extraordinary month it's been so far. We've finally rid ourselves of the snow and the last few frosts. Although last week, it was so cold overnight that my outside tap created a perfect ice willy.


The weeks have quite literally flown by and it's hard to believe that we've halfway through March already. I guess being busy makes the time appear to go faster. Just look at a typical week in my life ...

Monday began with some beers with my splendid friends, the QI Elves. Yes, they're the researchers who put the scripts in front of Stephen Fry every week. I then went on to watch the recording of the first episode of series three of QI's sister show, The Museum of Curiosity. John Lloyd is once again at the helm with new curator, Jon Richardson. The guests were comedian Shappi Khorsandi, physicist and writer Marcus Chown and the literary juggernaut that is Sir Terry Pratchett.

On Tuesday I packed my bags and headed for Sheffield where I was taking part i the judging of this years South Yorkshire Community Safety Awards. I stayed at the Sheffeld Hilton which, as I joked on Twitter, would be the name of Paris's little known, quite dull and grey sister. My view was of a dingy canal and lots of concrete. But the food was nice and the event was a great success. Came home on Wednesday evening.


Thursday I spent the day writing and as I have no photo of that, here's an amazing tattoo of the constellations on a chap's head. I spotted it and snapped it on a bus in Brighton a couple of weeks ago while visiting my old friend Chris Hale.

Friday was a visit to Oxford for a meeting and lunch with friends and then it was off to Gloucestershire for the first Kempsford Literary Festival. For such a tiny village, they really managed to pack in some heavyweight speakers including Michael Dobbs, Patricia Routledge, Joanna Trollope, Gyles Brandreth, Dame Stella Rimmington, Lord Douglas Hurd and many more. The event was opened and supported by HRH Countess of Wessex and was a triumph. Here are some shots of one of the venues used, the gorgeous village church of St Mary the Virgin.

And that's just this last week. I'm rather enjoying this brave new world.

2 comments:

punk in writing said...

Your week was clearly better than mine... And I have interns to boss around!

Andrew Horne said...

Your picture of the canal basin shows the shell of Park Hill Flats (top right), a grade II* listed building, part of Sheffield's 1950s/60s social housing built in the modernist style after Le Corbusier. They're currently being rejuvenated by Urban Splash - it's a shame they didn't consider my idea to fill the gaps in the flats with giant harmonica reeds to be activated when the wind blows.