Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Fakin Cnut

My best friend Huw Williams is a commercials director. He spends much of his working day coming up with innovative ways to sell us things that we probably don't need but very much want after seeing one of his ads. And, once in a while, he comes up with something so irritatingly clever that I want to simultaneously beat him around the head with a Dyson vacuum cleaner and buy him a beer for being so damned creative.

This is one such occasion; his brilliantly clever flyer for the new British 'gangster' film 44 Inch Chest. It's out in January and stars Ray Winstone, Tom Wilkinson, Ian McShane, John Hurt, Stephen Dillane and Joanne Whalley. Want to know more? Check out this site and/or this.

Blinding work mate.

1 comment:

Angela Montague said...

Brilliant idea as you say, and very interesting to me as a copywriter. I am awaiting the day when an advert uses a full-on four letter word. I suspect the Daily Mail will ignite on the news stands.

French Connections FCUK logo has been a huge success, so I suspect a lot of marketing people are wondering who will be the first to use the real thing.

I loved the Iron Bru advert with the photograph of the elderly laird and his two Labradors, captioned “I Love Iron Bru and so do ma bitches”.

Four letter words are an advertisers dream in that they catch the eye like no other word can, but there are Advertising Standards to meet, and clients who dare not offend, so will it ever happen?

And somehow, there’s more creativity in using their impact without breaking the rules.