Saturday, October 03, 2009

The fortnight in pictures

A big cruise liner parked in the Thames basin near London Bridge and dwarfing even HMS Belfast. Apparently this ship is a regular visitor and plies the seas between London and Iceland. I had no idea the Thames was deep enough to berth such a huge boat.


Some photos from a day trip to Brighton. the weather was magnificent (as it has been for most of the past two weeks) and people were even sunbathing. Met up with old mucker Chris Hale for a beer or two.



This week, in between working, I went to the Anish Kapoor exhibition at the Royal Academy in Piccadilly. I was greeted by the blaring horns of over 50 limos cruising slowly along the street protesting about something - I never did find out what. The building in the background - for those of you not so familiar with London - is BAFTA where the British 'Oscars' are doled out every year.



I've always been a huge fan of Kapoor's work - I loved Marsyas at the Tate Modern a few years ago (see here) - and the new exhibition doesn't disappoint. Yes, there are the crowd-pleasers like the cannon that fires a 20lb shell of red wax into a white corner every 20 minutes and the monolithic Svayambh; a 30 ton loaf of the same red wax that travels almost imperceptibly slowly through a series of arches, being formed and reformed by the doorways and gravity (We weren't allowed to take photos but I snuck this one). But there are many other delights too.



My favourite was outside in the RA courtyard where a tall structure of mirrored globes called Tall Tree and the Eye that endlessly reflects its surroundings. You look up at it and see a hundred tiny versions of yourself looking back. It's quite humbling.



I also managed to complete 23 illustrations for this year's QI Annual (the G annual) and am pitching a new book. Busy busy busy. But never too busy to enjoy myself.

No comments: