Tuesday, August 18, 2009

No more excuses

I joined a gym last week. First time ever. What was I thinking?

I guess what I was thinking is (a) I am a fat bloke and I'm not getting any younger, and (b) I have no more excuses such as 'I don't have the time'. Soon, I'll have plenty.

Just after Christmas I'll be 'retiring' from the 40 hours per week day job that I've been doing for the last 30 years. It'll be a bit scary; there's a lot to be said for a regular wage packet and the security of knowing what to do and where to be day to day. But having a day job means that my writing and drawing have always been relegated to my spare time where they have had to jostle with the rest of my life - bringing up three kids, having a partner, dog walking, garden maintenance, veg and fruit growing, visiting relatives, DIY etc. Consequently, my days are very, very full. But come January, the writing and the drawing will become my day job. And suddenly, I'll find myself with time to kill. I'll need some kind of a hobby - something I've never really had for three decades.

As a kid I made model kits, collected various things - fossils particularly - and played a few sports badly. These days I have no hobbies at all. I guess the closest thing to it is signed books. I have a lot of those (including some real treasures like Douglas Adams, Willie Rushton and Kenneth Williams) but there's never been any kind of plan or deliberate collecting activity. They've just ... arrived. I don't go to signings - unless it's someone I know - and I don't buy signed books. It's simply that I know a lot of writers and I get invited to events where I meet other authors.

Which brings me back to the gym. I really need to trim some flab and get myself a lot fitter. That way I'll probably live longer and have even more time to fill with new activities.

No more excuses, Mr Colgan.

5 comments:

The Factory said...

Good for you !! I am a gym convert too and I love it (hate the other people, but never mind). It was the single best decision I ever made. I now feel better than I have since school, and miss it when I can't go. One thing though, keeping it up at first is the hard bit. Get through that and you're there.

Angela Montague said...

One of my favourite scenes from a American Beauty.

Lester Burnham: I figured you guys might be able to give me some pointers. I need to shape up. Fast.
Jim Olmeyer: Are you just looking to lose weight, or do you want increased strength and flexibility as well?
Lester Burnham: I want to look good naked!

Good luck.

Blog Princess G said...

The freedom will be completely delicious!!

chris hale said...

Five more paydays, is it?

Don't overdo the exercise. I'm perspiring here just thinking about it.

Your life's so busy now that I'm not entirely sure how you find time to go to work!

I look forward to seeing more literary and artistic output.

Debby said...

The best part of becoming physically fit again is that suddenly you have all this energy to do all these things that you are shortly going to have the time for. It's like the planets coming into alignment or something. Yay for you. I'll watch.