Monday, June 15, 2009

And we're back ...

I'm so sorry. There has been an unforgiveable pause in my bloggery. I can only put it down to pressures of work, heavy workloads, pretty distractions and general procrastination. Things are once again easing and I will endeavour to be less tardy.

So what have I been up to? Well, great things are afoot. Firstly, I've had to write two book proposals; massively detailed documents with which my agent can whore me around the publishing houses. You may not be aware of this but 95% of all non-fiction books sell on the strength of the proposal ... so they have to be pretty comprehensive. And that means exaplaining the project, why you should be the one to write it, why the market needs this book, what else is out there and how does this differ ... and much, much more.

Secondly came the news that my proposed book of Cornish faeries stories is finally going to see the light of day. The Cornish Language Council approached me a couple of years ago and asked if they could publish the stories - suitable translated - in the Cornish language. I was happy to agree. Most Cornish literature is translations of existing books so there isn't much new material to read in the language. I was happy to help. So now they want to run a bilingual edition of my book and I've been hard at work on the illustrations. Stephen Fry has again provided me with a cover quote bless him.

And on the subject of illustrations, one of mine has just been published in a US school text book for mathematics and Plain English Campaign have asked me to design a new mascot character for their 25th anniversary. Oh, and I'm applying for an 'Artist in Residence' post with a local art college and I may once agin be taking on the mantle of university lecturer in creative thinking and problem solving. It's all been go, go, go. And all this on top of the 40 hours per week day job.

So, plenty to report but not a lot to show you yet. So I'll leave you with some pictures of a very nice walk I did this past week along the river Thames from Bourne End to Marlow - what we locally call the Millionnaires' Riverwalk. What a lovely day it was. And what lovely houses they were.

7 comments:

SweetPeaSurry said...

oOOH ... I'd love a book on Cornish Fairy Stories. YAY!!!

The Watcher said...

That looks like Par Beach Pool to me with the Canada Geese and goslings. Nice blog.

Angpang said...

Wow! You are a busy man - I had no idea you had a 'day job' too.

You say it's been quiet but there still seems to be more posts on here than other blogs I follow, so sit back and have another cup of tea, you're not slacking at all.

The Factory said...

Please tell me you urinated in at least one of those gardens ?

joelmead said...

Some very nice shots. I'll have to make my way out there at some point too…

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

So busy, but such great stuff! WOnderful, amazing stuff!! Good for you!!

Mari said...

Congratulations, and what beautiful scenery!