Sunday, April 05, 2009

My idea of a gym

One of the simple pleasures I engage in from around April to October is walking the dogs along by the river Thames. I'm quite lucky where I live as one of the river's prettiest stretches (as far as I'm concerned) takes in Maidenhead, Windsor, Marlow and Henley and all four are quite literally on my doorstep. A quick 10 minute spin in the car and I can be strolling along the bank, envying the millionaires' riverside real estate and the fat cats' cabin cruisers.

It's great for wildlife too. Roll this blog back a year and you'll read about me enjoying the first cuckoo of 2008. No cusckoos today but there were many different kinds of bird from the huge and graceful mute swans to the tiny warblers among the blackthorn bushes.

This part of the Thames has traditionally been the training ground for professional rowers and many an Olympic gold medal winner has sculled up and down the wide expenses of calm water between Henley and London. It was certainly where multi-medal winners Steve Redgrave and Matthew Pinsent did most of their training as they were based at Henley Rowing Club. I just love how quiet it is. All you can hear is the gentle lapping against the banks, the honking of geese, the gentle chug of outboard motors and the slap of oar on water. Wonderful. The dogs think so too.

Back on the commuter train tomorrow. Sigh.

7 comments:

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

Looks absolutely lovely. Wish I was there right now...

chris hale said...

We've just come back for a walk over Seaford Head; spectacular views of the Channel and the Seven Sisters. And now it's all part of the South Downs National Park; and this only sixty years after someone once mooted the idea!

willow said...

It's heavenly! I can't believe you are so close to all this loveliness!

Stuart Peel said...

Lovely, reminds me of the Norfolk broads.

Violet said...

Looks a perfect spot for strolling. My cousin lives near there, and I'd love to be back...

Spud said...

and that's why you have a big belly :)

joelmead said...

Lovely textures on the water and I really like the swan…