Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Clever words, paper birds

Hello lovely blogchums. It's been a busy, tiring but ultimately satisfying week so far. And it's only Wednesday! It feels like Friday though. Good crikey, how I wish it were.

I work 10 hour days so that I can have an extra day off per week. This is usually a Monday and I use this day for meetings, visits etc. relating to the writing and illustrating side of my life. I also utilise the evenings in the same way so as not to interfere with my 40 hour working week as a copper. So, Monday was a day in which I went out, took some photos for reference, wrote a couple of short features and managed another chapter of the new book. But then, rather than chilling out in front of the TV with Jack Bauer, I headed into London for the recording of Season 2 Episode 1 of John Lloyd's masterful Museum of Curiosity.

Now, if you've not discovered this little treasure yet, it's a half hour long show that plays on BBC Radio 4. The concept is simple; John is the Professor of Ignorance at the museum, which is an entirely imaginary structure so vast that it can house anything. During each show, the Professor and his curator ask three invited guests to provide a new exhibit for the museum. The only proviso is that the object must be something that provokes curiosity, fascination and enquiry. In Season 1 we had some truly extraordinary donations: actor Brian Blessed presented the Yeti, Alan Davies suggested the whole of Epping Forest, Professor Ronald Hutton added the murder of Father Christmas (by the American import Santa), and comic writer Ben Elton wanted to preserve the concept of privacy as it seemed to be on the verge of extinction. Other donations included the notion of Nothingness, the battle of Waterloo, dadaist Arthur Craven, a pineapple and the hairy angler fish. The curator - Bill Bailey in Season 1 and now Sean Lock - then decides where in the museum the object should go. It's a great format that generates clever and witty discussion and it's a must for anyone who enjoys shows like John's other recent great creation QI. So imagine how lucky I felt when I was invited to sit in on all six episode recordings this year.

The show may just be half an hour's duration ... but there is so much more to enjoy. John, Sean and guests easily fill two hours per recording and it's a huge shame that 3/4 of the show never makes it to air. The hours simply flew by. Monday's recording featured Brian Eno, Dave Gorman and Viz magazine co-creator Chris Donald. I won't spoil your listening enjoyment by revealing any of the content but it was endlessly fascinating and full of belly laughs. The show goes out in May I believe. I had the opportunity to chat to them all later, which was excellent ... but it did mean me getting home at 1.30am.

Then I was up at 5.30am and back in toLondon again for 7am, where I worked another 10 hour day and then watched Episode 2 being recorded. This time the guests were Simon 'Bang!' Singh, Gavin 'Cloud-spotter' Pretor-Pinney and the extraordinary madman that is Tim Fitzhigham; a man who has rowed across the English Channel in a Thomas Crapper roll-top copper bathtub and lived in a Spanish cave while emulating Don Quixote. Then more drinks and chats, home again at 1.30am ... and back into London for 7am once more this morning.

I was so tired this morning that I was hallucinating ... or were there really small colourful origami birds hanging from the handrails of the Underground trains? Of course, they were the first suggestions of protest by the anti-capitalist eco-warriors who descended on London in their thousands today to rail and rant against the G20 summit. Each of these birds bore a hand-written message such as 'Live simply so others can simply live' and 'No new coal'. Nice. If only that were the extent of their protest. Sadly, despite agreeing with much of what they stand for, I can't approve their methods and watching the window-smashing and violence later made me sad. They're not doing their cause any good and will lose much public sympathy I suspect. Luckily, I only saw it all from a distance as I skirted past and headed towards Earls Court. I've been a copper for over 29 years ... the young ones can handle the rioters now.


And, as if to prove what an old bugger I've become, I'm off to bed. After all, it's gone 10pm.
Night all. Yawn.

4 comments:

Debby said...

'Live simply' used to be my motto. Now its become 'simply live'.

chris hale said...

Sounds like sleep deprivation might be a useful addition to the Museum's shelves. The way things are going, you'll probably find yourself as the curator of that particular gallery!

Anonymous said...

你需要室內設計嗎?請找極舍!他有幫這一家香舖裝潢,香舖的網站設計都找誰做呀
SEO也做了說 !你的室內設計接了一堆也太累了吧我的媽耶!最近朋友家裡有人結婚不知道需不需要婚禮錄影嗎?ISEE這一家好像不錯耶!
奧羅拉風格的宜蘭民宿在那裡渡蜜月應該很清閒,京觀廣告設計公司所設計出來
婚禮禮盒的東西真的很棒!婚禮現場也有人拿加油棒替新人加油
,會場現場照明燈也很美,新郎新娘的胸章美美的
,連禮車的車燈都是LED白光的從南港搬家到桃園,新家需要室內設計嗎?找這家準沒錯
這家室內設計做的不錯!室內設計的十種方法
他們都有,室內設計的道理他們也知,
老婆就不會和別的男人偷偷去汽車旅館
房屋還需要二胎
你家需要來照明嗎?
LED是未來主流的商品你知道嗎!
LED省電又環保,真想買一個來試試,我的公司服務的項目有保健食品代工,素食膠囊

你需要減肥嗎?快運動吧!
室內設計也包含空間設計!
租屋網刊登免費不用錢
清境農場內的羊很可愛!中古車其實性能還是不錯的
室內設計要找哪家比較好呀!
a383的網站在哪?
a383你知道網址在哪嗎?
二手家具又便宜又好用
文山搬家公司的服務電話
好的搬家公司介紹你
健身對身體很好的
好喝的茶葉哪買呀!
A片好多妹妹能看
SEO排名不好玩= =
何謂SEO排名呢?
SEO怎麼排比較快上!不告訴你啦
優良搬家公司請找黃頁來看
搬家公司怎麼選擇比較好
台北搬家公司哪間較好?台北搬家公司的搬家流程
台北搬家公司,台北搬家公司
客人來做耶!
這家的情趣用品款式多樣!
情趣用品包裝隱密
你需要情趣用品輔助嗎?
情趣用品好好用!
情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,,台中搬家公司,A片,台北市搬家公司,台北縣搬家公司,
情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,消費券,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣情趣,
情趣,
情趣,
情趣,
情趣,
情趣世界好多人做= =
簡轉繁工具很好用!
徵信社服務優良,絕不亂搞!
貨運公司搬貨都有固定價格泡菜好吃耶
統一發票對獎每月26號要對獎的
室內設計公司光慧這家不錯唷!
隔熱紙用了就熱了唷!
室內設計公司通常都把家設計的很美!
led手電筒照明超光亮的
二手棧板哪買?
a383來看看唷!
搬家服務地區如下:大安區搬家,松山搬家,中山區搬家,八里搬家,五股搬家,
泰山搬家,大同區搬家,中正區搬家,士林搬家,萬華搬家,下雨時
雨傘,這裡有一把優良的雨傘讓你的,制服不會被淋濕唷!制服乾乾淨淨的才是好寶寶!SEO 
 

Stevyn Colgan said...

Debby - Poignant. Very poignant.

Chris - Oh I'm okay now. I got a good night's sleep last night. One good night will always allow me to recover. I'm one of those people who survives quite happily on 5-6 hours a night but 3-4 ... no. Still, what a great week! And yesterday I met a film director and, as the result, there may be an interesting project evolving ...