Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Devolve me!

You know that Wednesday night feeling? Nothing on the telly, nowhere to go and you think to yourself ... 'Gosh. I wish there was some way to see what I'd have looked like 3 million years ago.' Well now you can! Thanks to the Open University and their current celebration of the work of Charles Darwin, you can devolve yourself on the internet! All you need is a photo of yourself in a frontal-type elevation, thus:

Then, you log onto the University website by clicking this link. Post your photo, adjust the image template (all very easy) and quicker than you can say 'Ug!' you can see yourself as an ancestral hominid. Here are four screen grabs of myself as (from LtoR) Homo Heidelbergensis (50,000 years ago), Homo Erectus (1.8 million years ago), Homo Habilis (2.2 MYA) and Australopithecus Afarensis (3.7 MYA).

I suddenly have the urge to swing in an old car tyre ...
With thanks to @stephenfry and @iRobC via Twitter for making me aware of this.

5 comments:

Raph G. Neckmann said...

That shirt has been in fashion a long time, then!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Raph - To be honest, most of the clothes in my wardrobe are Neolithic at best. There are few items that could ever have been said to be fashionable in any era.

Eskimo Bob said...

Four words for you: Awesome.

Raph G. Neckmann said...

Field independence and the neck to cultivate one's own design statement! (I rather like that shirt, actually).

Anonymous said...

Have you dyed your hair?? Or got a rug?