Friday, January 02, 2009

Who? Who? WHO?

Have driven to Devon and back today. Yes, indeed. A 500 mile round trip in 8 hours to drop the grandchildren home and to enjoy a Devon Cream Tea. I must be mad. But I'm back home now, I am unlikely to be smeared with any more jam (unless I get lucky) and I can catch up on some much needed sleep.

But how can I possibly sleep?! The new Doctor Who is being announced tomorrow! It's the BBC's most closely-guarded secret - I know people who work on the show and they either don't know or their lips are clamped tighter than a chough's chuff. So I have to wait! Sob!

So who do you reckon will be the 11th Time Lord in control of the TARDIS Haynes Manual?

For my part I'd like to see Richard Coyle in the role. Or maybe Jack Davenport? Both great actors. Both have worked with the Moff. And, Russell Tovey and Patterson Joseph have both have been mentioned on various speculative sites and blogs. However, former Doctor Peter Davison has said that he knows and it's 'probably not someone you've heard of'. Hmmm ... negative spin? Or does he really know? All will be revealed at 5.30pm ...

Meanwhile, your guesses are invited. I will offer a small illustrated prize for whoever gets it right.

Yawn.

9 comments:

punk in writing said...

For a moment there I got "who let the dogs out" stuck in my head.

No idea who will be the new Doctor but David Tennant will be a tough act to follow.

Anonymous said...

Matt Smith, a 26 year old unknown.

joelmead said...

Patterson Joseph. Not because I have any insider knowledge…

Stevyn Colgan said...

Punky - They've all been hard acts to follow! I'm sure the Moff will have made the right choice.

Anonymous - Intriguing! He is a good young actor but is very young to be a Doctor. Mind you, so was Davison. I see that Betfair Gambling has suddenly made him Number 2 favourite after Patterson Joseph.

Joel - I like him as an actor so I'd be happy with that!

Persephone said...

Just got home from trudging in the slushy snow 2 miles into town and 2 miles out, due to the Ottawa bus strike. Switched on the computer and thought the tabloids were having a feeding frenzy, then realized it was genuine! Somebody must know who shouldn't if they're announcing it this early! I would be quite pleased with any competent actor/actress over 35, please. Peter Davison was, I think, 29 when he took over, but a 26-year-old? That just sounds like pandering to the Squee Squad. (I'm sure the fellow is very good; apparently I have seen him on The Street and The Ruby in the Smoke, but I can't for the life of me place him.)

Persephone said...

Oh and has anyone suggested Elliot Cowan? He's 32, so a bit young, but seems to have remarkable range. I've just seen him in Happy-Go-Lucky in a tiny part as a sullen book seller and it wasn't until I looked the movie up that I realized I'd seen him in several other things.

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

I read in the Mail online that a black actor from Casualty is the fave, but then they're not often right!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Persephone and Sarah - There have been all kinds of suggestions - the chap from Casualty is Chiwetel Ejiofor I believe. Other names mentioned in the UK press include Catherine Tate, James McAvoy, Ben Wishaw, John Barrowman, James Nesbitt, John Simm, Jason Statham and even David Walliams after he said in an interview that he'd take the role if offered it. Seems to me, however, that it won't be someone very well-known because (a) it usually isn't, and (b) the BBC can't afford huge salaries any more - especially in the wake of what the tabloids call Wossygate (surely it was more Russellgate?), and (c) big actors tend to avoid typecasting and won't stay in the role very long. So we'll see. Elliot Cowan seems ike an interesting bet as do Harry Lloyd, Richard Armitage or Charles Aitken. Of course, if the world was a fair place we'd have Richard E Grant or Jonathan Pryce or Rhys Ifans in the running. And can we truly, completely rule out David Morrissey? Think about it ...

Stevyn Colgan said...

Anonymous was spot on! Email me with an address for the prize!