Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The tuck stops here

It's the New Year and things are lying heavy on my mind. Well, to be honest, it's me that's lying heavy. I am medically obese once again and I need to do something about it. I've struggled with my weight for years and can honestly say that I've tried every diet known to Man. I've F-Planned and Atkinsed, I've Weight-Watched and visited Slimming World. In 2007, I lost nearly 5 stones (70lbs, 31.7kg) in weight on the Lighter Life programme. However, because I started the diet when I was nearly 21st, that still only took me down to around 15st and, for my height, I should be around 12.5 to 13. Anyway, since that epic weight loss, I've put a couple of stones back on so I'm now weighing in at 17. Fat bastard.

1980 - Mr Skinny on the night shift

Being the world's most experienced dieter, I've come to understand an overwhelming if uncomfortable truth; there is only one way to lose weight and maintain it and that's to eat sensibly and do some exercise. And, surprise, surprise, I do neither.

2001 - Me at my largest. I had my own gravity well.


On Monday this week I embarked upon an ambitious programme. I retire from the police service this time next year. When I joined the police at age 18 1/2, I was as fit as a butcher's dog and I weighed just under 13 stones. My aim is to be the same weight on the day I retire. That means losing around 4 1/2 to 5 stones in a year.

2007 and fives stones lighter. Trousers still too baggy.


I can do it. I know I can. I have good willpower (I packed in a 40-a-day smoking habit in 1991 and have never touched a tab since). I just love food so much! But no more. The tuck stops here.

I'll post my progress as the weeks go by. Wish me luck!

22 comments:

Raph G. Neckmann said...

Good luck, Stevyn!

Protege said...

Good luck Stevyn! I know how hard this can be, I love food too. But sharing your progress here might help.;)
Are you in the police force? That is really cool; don't they offer exercise programs at work?

chris hale said...

Blimey, Stevyn! That first photo brings back memories. Were either of us really that thin?

Seriously though, I applaud your plans and will, as always, be behind you all the way. Best of luck with the diet; I know you can do it!

Debby said...

We'll provide the necessary applause and cheering. I've got to admit that I'm terribly impressed that you've committed to posting pictures.

Mary Paddock said...

Keep us updated. I'll want to know what worked for you. (In brief, I am dieting too . . . )

Stuart Peel said...

May I suggest you find a nice swimming pool ? I found that helped me lose weight. And man, I hate to say it, but quitting beer made a big difference.

willow said...

I've been looking at that picture on my sidebar all afternoon and finally had to come over to see who it was. It was you!

This is my second week of feeling starved. I'm so with you on this one. If only I didn't love to eat. And cook.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Good grief! What a response! Thank you so much everyone! I will keep you posted ... photos and all. xx

VioletSky said...

What a courageous move. To post pics of your old self. A motivator, too!

Good Luck.

doctawho42 said...

Good luck Stevyn, you'll make it.

punk in writing said...

Good luck!

:)

joelmead said...

Best of luck, Steve…

joelmead said...

And don't you EVER criticise my headlines again:)

Lisa said...

Hey Stevyn, hope it goes well - loving the first photo!!

Lisa

Stevyn Colgan said...

Joel - Cheers mate! Good to see you this evening.

Lisa - What can I say? I was young ... I needed the money ...

Lara said...

Good luck mate! Keep us posted. x

Stevyn Colgan said...

Lara - Thanks Gorgeous! x

Rob (Inukshuk Adventure) said...

You and me both.
Well, I'm not retiring next year, but I need to scale down a bit, okay, a lot.

Good luck mate.
By the way, are you sure about the exercise?

Stevyn Colgan said...

Rob - Oh, I'm not retiring ... I just won't be a cop any more (to be honest, I'm hardly a cop now as the old helmet and boots have been gathering dust for well over 10 years!). Exercise is a difficult one. I have no interest in any kind of sport, I have a back injury that precludes me from anything medium-to high impact and nerve damage in my left leg which means I stumble frequently. So perhaps I'll stick to long walks with the dogs, eh?

Anonymous said...

I applaud you and wish you success. I look at pics of myself when I was 18yrs old, and recognise I have grown not only in size/shape but also in knowledge. Therefore I plan to lose some of my growth in size/shape, but my knowledge helps me realise to be as I was when I was 18, maybe unrealistic for me to achieve. Like you health issues restrict the amount of exercise I can partake in, but I can eat more healthily and maintain some form of fitness. Then hopefully I can still enjoy food and appreciate who, and what I am now.
You go for it Steve, you have a lot of folks out there backing you. BTW, what ever size you are I adore your wit/humour & many other skills....

columnist said...

You can do it! (Obamarama). Yes you can. You just have to really want to. Bit like giving up the fags, so you know. Exercise is important, especially after 50 (I'm guessing for you), but diet is the MOST important. And I'm not talking about "going on a" diet. I'm talking about your life (style) diet. Sounds really silly, but just start by eating less of EVERYthing, then your stomach will get use to it. I'm 51, and really worked at it, and this year, (actually within 4 months, but maintained it), have lost 11 kilos. AND, I like to drink, but food less important. Exercise a lot, not high impact...it's certainly doable.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Anonymous and Columnist - No idea who you are but thanks! It's started well with a five pounds loss in Week one. Onwards and upwards (and weight downwards!).