Sunday, January 18, 2009

Tony Hart (1925-2009)

It's thanks to this wonderful man - with some extra nudging from Rolf Harris - that I started drawing. I didn't ever get any of my work into the Vision On or Take Hart galleries but I still watched him avidly whenever he appeared on TV. He was a true inspiration and one of the few men to completely get away with wearing a cravat.

Bye bye Tony. Let's watch an old episode of Vision On in celebration (featuring a young future Doctor Who called Sylvester McCoy)

8 comments:

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

I didn't know this news, so sad but he lived to a good age. I have such fond childhood memories of his wonderful shows

joelmead said...

I felt very sad when I heard this. I used to love Tony Hart when I was a kid…

willow said...

This was a fun tribute! He reminds me a lot of our Captain Kangaroo.

http://willowmanor.blogspot.com/2008/04/oh-captain-my-captain.html

chris hale said...

My Mum and Dad met Tony Hart and his wife some years ago in an airport check-in queue and got chatting to them. Dad always said that Mr. Hart came across as a genuinely nice and unpretentious man.

Lara said...

I was so sad to hear this news. A great man who will be missed dearly. x

Stuart Peel said...

Will Morph be buried with him ? Only fitting I think.

Stuart Peel said...

By the way, if my last comment sounded flippant it wasn't meant to. I loved Tony Hart too.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Dear all - Yes, it's very sad when a national treasure like Tony Hart leaves us. As for Morph, I have this sad image in my head of a tiny plasticine coffin. As Stu said, no disrespect ... just a little touch of the gallows humour that helps us Brits deal with loss. Tony would have laughed along with us I'm sure.