Monday, January 19, 2009

One nation under new management

I'm not a language fascist but I do advocate correct punctuation wherever possible. Punctuation is how we convey on paper or plasma the nuances, pauses and emphases of the spoken word. I don't claim to be an expert and I frequently make mistakes. But I do make an effort and that's the point.

Today I was struck by how much difference a simple exclamation mark can make. You see, before George W Bush came to power, I always saw America as a place where:

Anyone can become President!

After Bush's election, I found myself saying:

Anyone can become President ...

Obama isn't Superman and things won't be fixed overnight. No one should expect miracles. But I thoroughly believe that from tomorrow you'll have the right man in the White House.

Wishing all of my American visitors a better four years ahead!

3 comments:

Comedy Goddess said...

It's been a rough 8 years. Even a slow moving Superman is better than those evildoers Bush and Cheney.

Debby said...

At least Obama speaks English.

Obama is not Superman, but you know what? At least we are headed in another direction. I'm going to be hopeful that he can get this country out of the ditch and back on the road.

Side note about punctuation: do you have a problem with commas just jumping in any old place? I'm always finding them where they don't belong and kicking them out. Sneaky bastards.

Stevyn Colgan said...

CG - It's been pretty rough here too. Sadly, when our next election comes aliong we have Hobson's Choice - a political party we don't like, a political party we distrust, or a political party that is untested. We can't win any way. Where is the British Obama when we need him. Or her.

Debby - Ah yes. Those sneaky, commas get, in all the, wrong, places, sometimes.