Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Strolling in Camden

Some time ago I was bewailing the lack of songs written about places in Britain. America has a plethora of such homages, but where are the Brit ballads? Why isn't there a song called I left my heart in Sutton Coldfield? Or Chichester - My kind of Town? Or I've been to Paradise but I've never been to Leeds? Or even York - So good they named it once? Such thoughts were uppermost in my tiny mind as I strolled around Camden today mumbling these words along to the tune of Walking in Memphis.

'Yeah, I was strolling in Camden ...'

Anyhoo, here are some photos I took along the way on what was a deliciously and unseasonally sunny December day. The first is the University of London's Senate House and Library in Malet Street. It's a huge monolith of a building but it looked very striking bathed in warm sunlight and with that wonderful blue backdrop sky.


If you don't know where Camden is, it's one of London's 32 boroughs. The southernmost part of it starts North of Oxford Street and it butts up against the City of London to the East. It takes in Holborn, Covent Garden and the British Museum, Tottenham Court Road and the famous Camden Market, Hampstead, King's Cross and Regents Park (where London Zoo is). You get some nice views of the Telecom Tower too.

There are lots of hotels around the Bedford Square area and I thought it was worth capturing and comparing a few. To start with, here's the outrageously 1960s Imperial Hotel.

Next it's the gothic madness that is the Hotel Russell.

Finally, the Italian loveliness that is Sicilian Avenue. One of my favourite little al fresco eating haunts during the Summer ... but too damned cold now.

Sing along with me ... 'I wish they all could be Covent Garden Girls ...'

12 comments:

joelmead said...

Senate House often doubles as the Empire State Building. Some nifty looking photos here as ever…

Stevyn Colgan said...

Cheers Joel. Of course I don't have a spanky camera like yours. I have lens envy.

Debby said...

I love these 'tours'. Thanks!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Debby - You're welcome. I like them too. the walks are the best bits of my working day. They're the nice bits between meetings.

Debby said...

Meetings - Not one of us alone is as dumb as all of us together.

joelmead said...

Hotel Russell is a very striking Victorian Gothic building indeed. And yes my camera is very nice although there are lots of people with cameras nicer than mine:)

Stevyn Colgan said...

Debby - We always used to call meetings 'The practical alternative to work'.

Joel - Maybe ... but yours is still bigger. Snif.

Debby said...

Stevyn: What about a tour of London dressed up for Christmas?

Not nagging or anything.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Debby - Phew! For a moment there I thought you were asking me to dress up as Father Christmas! Admittedly, I have the beard and belly ...

Debby said...

LOL! Sorry...that was not at all clear, was it?

Still. The idea has merit...

Linda S. Socha said...

Oh my goodness...I would like to BE THERE NOW please. So lovely.
These photographs are uplifting to my spirit and that is always a good thing os 12-26. This is my first visit to your space and I like it. If you find you are out and about, please stop by and say hello!
Linda

Stevyn Colgan said...

Linda - Nice to meet you! I hope you enjoyed a good ol' Tennessee Christmas! xx