Monday, December 15, 2008

A Happy Qistmas

I've just returned home from a very pleasant few hours at the Groucho Club in London where publishers Faber and Faber put on a celebratory bash for the release of the QI Book of Advanced Banter and this year's QI Annual. It felt a bit like the first of this year's round of Christmas dos and it was a splendid affair.

It was nice to bump into some old QI acquaintances such as John Lloyd and John Mitchinson, Justin Gayner, 'Egg-shaped', Justin Pollard and Tom Hodgkinson. Also nice to meet some people in the flesh whose names I've known for a while or I've swapped emails with like Piers Fletcher, Andrew Murray and Steven Gash. And it was a genuine thrill to meet a few of the actors, comedians and artists who've contributed to the success of the show and the book. I was lucky enough to meet artists Adrian Teal, Cherry Denman, Tony Husband and the legend that is Chris Donald (of Viz fame), and stars of stage and screen Roni Ancona, Clive Anderson, David Mitchell and the inimitable Paul Whitehouse.

No photos to show you as the Groucho is one of the few places that the poor sods can get any peace away from the paperazzi. But a very, very nice evening and my huge thanks go to Faber and Faber and John and John for inviting me.

8 comments:

Stuart Peel said...

Roni Ancona ? Phwoar !

Stevyn Colgan said...

Stu - Oh yes. And she's so nice too!

Stuart Peel said...

Right, now I'm offcially jealous. No photos of her I take it ?

chris hale said...

I tried to make a sensible anagram out of Roni Ancona, but failed. It seemed like a good name for anagrams. But guess what? I got Valency Tongs for yours! Oh, and Gnat Solvency.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Stu - Sorry matey ... protocol forbade it.

Chris - Thanks 'Harsh Helicopter'!

Raph G. Neckmann said...

I heard the teacosy quote years ago and have chuckled about it ever since. (Inspired one of my blogpics, subconsciously, I think).

Your blog is one of my favourites. I've put it on my list, 'First Class Blogs I like to read' which I've just created to go on mine.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Raph - Wow! Thank you so much. As for the tea cosy, I think the same is true for clean underpants too ...

Raph G. Neckmann said...

That would be more the sort of thing Prankman Cheng would do ...