Sunday, December 28, 2008

And on the 7th day, he blogged

All right you lovely visitors. Come on in and grab a seat. I'll pop the kettle on and we can get cosy. Now then, I've had an interesting idea for 2009 ...

2008 has been a great year for me. There was the publication of my book of course. There were those great trips to California and the Canary Islands and various bits of This Sceptred Isle. And there was the whole getting involved with the splendid chaps from QI business that culminated in me being asked to do some work for this year's annual and meeting all those lovely celebs at the launch party. Whoop! But it was also a year in which I said farewell to some great friends and colleagues as they headed for pastures new upon completing their 30 years in the police. And it left me not only bereft of team-mates but with a lot more work to do. So the final few months of 2008 were exceptionally busy ... and things are likely to remain so for some time yet.

2009 promises to be just as busy, but just as exciting, for me and my chums: old mucker Sarwat Chadda is releasing his first (and much anticipated) novel Devil's Kiss; Joel Meadows and Gary Marshall will be releasing a new Tripwire Annual, a Heroes Special and, if all goes well, a second volume of Studio Space; Danny Schaffer's first film Doghouse should see the light of day (and well-deserved too); Chris Hale and myself will be pitching The Middenshire Chronicles (as featured in this year's QI Annual) at unsuspecting publishers; Luscious Lara Greenway has been shortlisted for the prestigious ScreenEast short films competition; and I will (hopefully) be writing and drawing some bits for the next QI Annual, and pitching at least five new books, two radio series and a handful of screenplays around various companies in the hope that if I sling enough poop I'll catch someone's nostrils. All of which means that I may be kept a little too busy to be quite as bloggingly prolific as I once was.

Therefore I propose to do this: Throughout 2009 I will continue to post up photos, movies, audio clips and anything else that tickles my artifacts (as Ramblin' Sid Rumpo once said) but I will endeavour to write one good feature per week. I'll treat this blog as a newspaper - a Blogspaper if you will - with my regular column appearing every Saturday. That way, it'll give me a week to save up all of my wonder, wide-eyed innocence, anger, vitriol, confusion, stupidity and effervescence for one good blog per week.

So there you have it. My New Year's Resolution for 2009. One good blog post every Saturday for 52 weeks. I hope that you can join me there. Of course, I will also be attempting to shed a walrus worth of blubber too. But that's a standing Resolution every year.

I hope that you all have an utterly fantastic 2009. Cheers!

19 comments:

Diane said...

I'll be here every Saturday. Which, when you think about it, doesn't say much for my social life. Sigh. Maybe that should be MY New Year's resolution... to get a life. I could always read your posts on Sunday, couldn't I?

Oh, and that walrus thing? Yeah, I'm with you on that one, too. Double sigh.

Debby said...

I once heard it said that blogging doesn't pay the bills. Shame, isn't it?

Good luck on the 'pitches'. Be sure to remember us 'little people' when you hit the big time.

willow said...

I'm sure that one blog will be a goodie, too.

Best wishes for a happy 2009 to you and yours, Stevyn!

SweetPeaSurry said...

I look forward to the next 52 posts.

People are supposed to really make resolutions? Mine is to put more thought INTO my blogs.

Happy New Year!!!

Rob (Inukshuk Adventure) said...

Crumbs, you are going to be a busy chap. Good luck with it all and see you each Saturday.

Simplicity said...

Once per week sounds fantastic! My life isn't interesting enough to blog daily. I had signed up for some sort of thingamadoohickey where I promised to put something up every day and I figured it would motivate me to write. It just motivated me to scrutinize how dreadfully quiet and boring my life actually is! :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Here's to 2009!

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

I'll miss the regular ramblings but will be here anyway

Raph G. Neckmann said...

Look forward to the weekly! Good luck with everything - stick your neck out for your dreams!

punk in writing said...

Good luck with all the pitches! :)

The world needs more quality and less reality shows starring Tila Tequila and those walking popsicle sticks from "The Hills".
*Sigh* I really should watch less MTV.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Thanks everyone! I shall do my utter best to make sure that they are as good as I can produce. And, as I said, I will still pepper the blog with the kind of inane drivel I've posted for the past three years. Toodle-pip! x

Protege said...

It is the quality and not the quantity that counts.;)) Therefore I am sure that one post a week from you will be a superb read.
I wish you all the best in 2009.;)))

joelmead said...

I'll be here as ever. The only way to get more writing out there is to write as much as you can. It's taken me years…
have a good 2009

doctawho42 said...

Every Saturday?
Its a date. Well, 52 dates.
I imagine its going to be fantabulous. Have fun and happyness in 2009.

Really enjoyed reading.

Lara said...

It's an idea I have been toying with until I realised I generally only had time to do one post a week anyway!!! lol! Happy New Year, mate and let's hope 2009 will be a goodie. x

Stevyn Colgan said...

Joel, Protege, Hannah and Lara - Best wishes to you all for 2009. Let's hope that we all get what we wish for in the New Year. x

jeanie said...

Happy new year!!! Guess what? Your book is available at the ABC shop at a large shopping centre in Brisbane!

A Saturday post is good - sometimes it takes me that long to get through my bloglines!!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Jeanie - Wow! That's fantastic! I knew that copies were being distributed worldwide but it's great to hear that they've made it down South. Have a great New Year and see you on Saturday. x

Blog Princess G said...

Great idea... I've been thinking of less blogging but more thoughtful blogging... or maybe just less blogging, less quality. Heh heh.

I'm looking forward to your weekly posts... you're always such a pleasure to read.

Stevyn Colgan said...

G - You are very kind. And easily pleased. x