Wednesday, November 26, 2008

We're hanging in the air ... la la la la la la

My work took me from Oxford Street through to Charing Cross today and I felt like a walk. It was a briskly cold but bright day so I took the long, scenic route through Carnaby Street and down through Soho and Chinatown. The Carnaby Street Christmas decorations are always great fun. This year, the theme is whopping great inflatable snowmen. Loads of them.

You'd think that the manufacturers would have found a more ... er ... sensitive place to site the inflation valve though, wouldn't you?

This particular snowman (below), just off Carnaby Street in Ganton Street, looked like he was playing leapfrog with the tiny pedestrians below. The blue building is my agent's office by the way.


Directly opposite the office is the Ganton Street plug. This is a massive piece of art that forms part of the Christmas lights display and the plug changes colour every year.

It was created by artist Paul Dart who also designed last year's giant paper chain decorations for Carnaby Street and who also made the giant coat hangers installation at nearby Kingly Court.

I'm pleased that I always have my camera with me to snap these things ... but never more so than when I see a wonderful visual gag like this (below): An opticians' right next door to an adult film shop.
Well, I was always told that it would make me go blind ...

6 comments:

doctawho42 said...

I freaking love London sometimes.
Adelaide has a gosh darned tiny christmas tree in the city centre. Look, I'll link you, so you can see the extent of our Christmas celebrations and relly get how incredibly lucky you are living in London. You probably know this, but just in case the cold weather gets to you....

http://www.stockill.us/Images/adelaide/Xmas%20Tree%20&%20PO.jpg

Linda said...

Who is that person standing in front of your agent's office? Is it your agent? He looks lost.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Hannah - Christmas in the Southern Hemisphere is so strange from our Northern point of view. For us Christmas is characterised by snow, snuggling up in front of a warm fire, roast chestnuts, mulled wine, holly and carol singers. Many of those carols talk about 'In the bleak midwinter', 'Dashing through the snow', 'When the snow lay round about deep and crisp and even' etc. But the Christmas cards I get from Oz have Father Christmas surfing or having a barbecue on the beach. It's looks so incongruous to us ... but Christmas in mid-Summer must be perfectly normal for you.

Are there any Oz Christmas Carols? Like 'I saw three dudes come surfing in'? Or 'O little town of Canberra?' Or 'Rudolf the red-nosed sunbather?'

Any suggestions out there?

Linda - No, it was much too early in the moring to be him. He was either (a) a cyclist stopping off to post something or marvel at the snowman, or (b) a bicycle thief sneaking up on a unsuspecting velocipede. Interestingly, my agent states that the view from his window consists entirely of a huge snowman's arse. He's considering committing Frosticide with a long, pointed stick ...

doctawho42 said...

No, we pretty much stick to the rest of the world's christmas carols and feel slightly odd about it.

Yeah, I was reading this story yesterday about how the months *anthropomorphic personifications of them* were sitting round a camp fire and telling stories. The story was written by a northerner and so...it was just all wrong. All wrong I say!

I've always wanted a white christmas *sniff*.

Oh, and although your suggestions of alternative carols are great, its been done, generally in a naff, self concious way.

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

Oh aren't those inflatables wonderful and the huge plug! Those shops are too funny side by side!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Sarah - Great aren't they! How's Christmas in Oki shaping up?