Saturday, November 08, 2008

I see faces ... a long overdue update

I haven't posted any of these for a while so I thought I'd chuck a few up on the screen. I'm still always on the lookout for that face hidden in plain sight.

Don't forget that the King of these simulacra is comedian and writer Dave Gorman. You can see his astonishing collection of 'I see faces' on his FLICKR page here. They are absolutely brilliant. And while you're at it, why not visit his blog here?
This last one is my favourite in recent months because the face is so perfectly apt for the product. It's the backing paper strip from a coldsore remedy!

6 comments:

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

LOL at the light switch, I never ever saw that and now it's just standing out! Too funny on the coldsore remedy too :-)

willow said...

I like the crazy second one!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Sarah - I have these switches all over my house and never noticed. It was only when I saw this particularly grubby one (NOT in my house!) that looked like it had a mouth that it clicked.

Willow - I love 'em all. We humans have an amazing capacity for spotting faces where there aren't any. For years, Fortean Times magazine has run a feature called 'Simulacra Corner' where readers are invited to submit photos of spontaneous forms found in nature. What Dave Gorman has done is elevated this to a fine art.

doctawho42 said...

I used to notice them all the time when I was a kid. Like your rather endearingly scruffy switch, power-points and switches were my staples.

Debby said...

I give up. What are the two items in the basket?

Stevyn Colgan said...

Docta - Then get snapping!

Debby - They're called washaballs ... or something like that. You use them instead of washing powder to clean your clothes. They contain these sow release pellet things. Saves a fortune! (Damn! I sound like I work for QVC)