Sunday, November 30, 2008

Dream on Helen ...

The lovely and talented Helen Smith mentioned on her blog that a chum of hers had created a site called Dreamlines where, using just a few keywords, your dreams are visualised. I couldn't resist that. So I dutifully typed in my keywords and this is what emerged:

Basically, the site shows an ever-morphing series of images - some quite startlingly beautiful - as it tries to make sense of your input.

It was always going to struggle with me. I don't dream very often (well, apparently everyone dreams every night but I rarely remember any - not even a hint) but when I do, they are odd dreams indeed. Like the time I was stepped on by a Transformer. Or the time that I discovered that the piece of string that tethers the Moon to the Earth had snapped and it was too slippery and fine for me to keep a firm grip on. Bye bye Moon.
So, my keywords for this website were: Monkey. Dress. Chimney. Cricket Bat. That's because the dream I had in mind was one I had around nine months ago when I was sat on the rim of a very tall factory chimney looking down inside. Clambering towards me at speed and gibbering insanely was a large and angry baboon-like monkey wearing a dress and waving a cricket bat in a threatening manner. And I had no way to get down.

Bizarrely, the website got the colour of the dress right. Red. Eek.

15 comments:

Debby said...

Er. It sounds like it might be a good thing that you can't remember most of your dreams.

The monkey...was he a flying monkey? They wore red dresslike garments and they are plain scary. I'll betcha you cheesed off the Wicked Witch of the West again.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Debby - Nope, it was a normal, largish monkey. Big, scary teeth. Mad, homicidal eyes. Cricket bat. Pretty red dress. Worrying, aren't I?

Helen Smith said...

Yay xx

Debby said...

Disturbed. Very.

Rob (Inukshuk Adventure) said...

Like you I rarely remember dreams, but OH on the other hand has incredibly vivid dreams and remembers the most amazing details - like the time he dreamed the whole gory experience of having a heart transplant or being shot or like last night where he is in a fight and actually punched me in my stomach - not a fun way to wake up from a deep sleep I can tell you.

Lisa said...

They are quite startlingly beautiful but you are one strange man!! lol - a dress wearing monkey?

Stevyn Colgan said...

Debby - Be. You should. Lots.

Rob - OK, you've just upped the ante now. OH has me seriously worried now. At least my mad dreams have no grounding in reality. How many monkeys in a dress have you ever seen (ex-Spice Girls not included)?

Lisa - I'm not strange. The voices assure me of that.

citizen of the world said...

Here via VioletSky. What an interstng thing - how did you get the individual pictures? (I tried it with my most recent dream and it seems to be prepared to morph forever.)

Stevyn Colgan said...

COTW - It did the same with me too. I took screen grabs every so often but then gave up watching after 10 mins. I suspect that I'd have died before I got to the end. Welcome to the blog! x

citizen of the world said...

Thanks, I just borrowed it for my post today.

Jeff said...

Here's why I don't remember my dreams:

"I don't remember my dreams, mostly. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, because the occasional recollections have convinced me that my dreams are highly detailed, richly colored expressions of nothing. They're three-dimensional in much the same way a computer-rendered object is three-dimensional, which is to say, not really."

from Waking the Dreamer Within
http://weblog.omegaword.com/2008/10/waking-dreamer-within.html

Electronic Goose said...

Love the moon dream you mention...

Stevyn Colgan said...

Jeff - I read your explanation but was not even close to being stoned enough to understand it. So dreams are a non-dimensional representation of nothing? My brain hurts.

Goose - It was certainly the most frustrating dream. I can remember waking up and my fingers ached.

Welcome to my humble blog, guys!

VioletSky said...

I've been lurking for a while and now seem to be sending my readers to you as well and I haven't even introduced myself.

Still haven't figured out how to do 'screen grabs'.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Hi Violet - It's a damnably nice to meet you. I too am a lurker of the first water. The problem is, as you've undoubtedly discovered, that if you visit hundreds of blogs it's very time-consuming to leave comments on them all. I try to 'do the rounds' as often as I can because people are kind enough to leave comments for me. Your blog is very interesting and I will continue to lurk in the bushes just outside. Just keep the cat from attacking me. x