Sunday, November 09, 2008

Compare and Contrast

Dawn and I both spent some time in London yesterday ... but in completely different environments. Dawn and her friends ate at Giraffe on the South Bank and went for a spin on the London Eye before settling down with a drink or two to watch the fireworks for the Lord Mayor's Show. Dawn took these photos, which will give you sense of how relaxed, sedate and charming her evening was.


Meanwhile ... I'd been invited to a party at The Intrepid Fox pub in St Giles High Street. Sadly it isn't a patch on the old Intrepid Fox that once stood in Wardour Street, Soho but the music was just as loud, the decor equally as cod-Gothic and the clientele ... well ... punk burlesque rubs shoulders with death metal zombies and the whole place smells of black leather. The air is alive with the jangling of chains and body piercings and there are more tattoos than bare skin on show. It has a fantastic atmosphere - almost like being at a rock gig - and I met some great people including the tallest New Zealand Goth. Apparently.

So who had the most fun, me or Dawn? I have no idea. My ears are still too sore to understand what she's saying.

15 comments:

willow said...

Too much fun!!

Hey, my very own copy arrived. Come on over a take a look! Plus I have an award waiting at the manor for you, too.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Willow - Can you have too much fun? Oh, I hope not! Thanks for the mention on the blog - hope you enjoy the book. And an award!!

Really, I don't deserve this ... I'd like to thank my agent and my ... snif!

doctawho42 said...

Goths are a pretty accepting bunch, letting a middle aged, very obviously non-goth guy into their party. Meh, looks like a whole bunch of shiney fun.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Doc - Goths are great! I reckon they dress that way to overcompensate for the fact that they're generally so nice. I mean ... look at King Goth Marilyn Manson. His real name is Brian. How scary could that possibly be? Name me one terrifying Brian from history. Brian the Merciless? Brian the Terrible? Brian the Impaler? See what I mean?

punk in writing said...

And what does King Goth Brian do in his spare time?
Paints watercolours and calls his mother. Or he might pick up a friend and catch a movie.

Protege said...

I would say, it is a tie.:P

Stevyn Colgan said...

Punky - My point exactly. Isn't he just so cuddlesome?

Protege - You may be right there. We both had a great time.

Diane said...

I ate at Giraffe in Chiswick and did the Eye (for the 4th time) a few weeks ago. And it was good. But going deaf and having someone grope my chest from behind has its appeal as well ;)

Stevyn Colgan said...

Diane - You're definitely getting invited to one of my parties then!

Diane said...

I expect to be in England again in a few months... plan it then and I'll be there with bells on ;)

And I'll drag Protege over from Denmark, too...

Stevyn Colgan said...

Diane - Sounds like a plan!

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

Well from the photographic evidence I'd have to say you did LOL!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Sarah - You may be right. I definitely had the most raucous and drunken night anyway.

Janet said...

Some nights, I would pick Dawn's evening. On Halloween, I would pick YOURS!

By the way, I've been intending to tell you that John is thoroughly enjoying your book - but it seems to have become stuck to HIS bedside table, so I've barely gotten ("got", in British English) to take a look yet.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Janet - Thanks for the kind words. You need to sort that man out. Or buy two copies! (cheeky smile) :-]