Monday, October 13, 2008

Radio Head

Yup, that's me trying desperately to look all professional and radio-savvy at the BBC this morning. You'll be pleased to hear (I hope) that all thirteen interviews went well - some slightly better than others when a good rapport was established - and it wasn't half as gruelling as I thought it might be. I enjoyed every minute and three hours flew by. I must thank Amy (whose birthday it was today) for looking after me so well.

I think that I might have been playing Dave Gorman's I See Faces game for too long though. I'd have sworn there was a strangely French-looking cat or dog leering at me from the microphone ...

Most of the interviews followed similar lines and asked similar questions although occasionally I was thrown a little winger just to keep me on my toes. And a number of the interviewers seemed to be just as fascinated by my day job as they were the book. But I guess that working for something called the Problem Solving Unit is guaranteed to elicit some interest. Remind me to tell you all something about what I do very soon. It's very interesting and rewarding work and, more importantly, it has a real impact on people's lives.
A positive one, obviously.

6 comments:

Katie said...

any chance this was recorded?? :)

Stevyn Colgan said...

Katie - All 13 interviews would have been recorded by the respective stations. As each interview lasted around 10 minutes, that's just over two hours of me waffling on, mostly about the same things. I wouldn't inflict that on my worst enemy. Maybe I'll just grab one or two at most and post them up. If you're unlucky. x

willow said...

Yes, do! I would like to hear one or two, as well!

You do look all professional and savvy, I might add. And very comfortable in front of the mic. :^)

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

Glad it went well Stevyn. Can't remember if I said before, but I listened to your podcast interview and thoroughly enjoyed it. You do have a very interesting day job!

Janet said...

I'm sure you're relieved that these interviews are over. No matter how well they go, they are stressful aren't they? Judging from the three you linked to on your blog earlier, I'm sure you were very interesting.

Were they literally back-to-back-to-back, or did you get a bit of a break along the way?

And I'm sure I join your other blogger friends in wanting to hear a lot more about your day job. By the way, my cab driver from Canary Wharf to Marylebone Station yesterday was a retired Met officer. He told me that he certainly had heard of the Problem Solving Unit but didn't know much about what you do. This fellow was mostly based in Parliament, apparently.

Janet

Stevyn Colgan said...

Willow - See next post.

Sarah and Janet - See post after the next post!

The interviews were pretty much back to back but I did get a wee break. In more ways than one. I love this language!