Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Radio Blah Blah

Yesterday saw my first studio radio interview. I've done several by telephone and they went very well, but this felt like I was really doing something new; breaking new ground in my new career. So I travelled up to London to BBC Broadcasting House (above) for a studio feed with the Roy Noble Show on BBC Radio Wales. I was directed to Western House, just around the corner, where the interview took place.

video

Because it's all still a bit of a novelty, I've been grabbing copies of most of the interviews to listen to later (It's awful listening to your own voice isn't it?). Plus, my family haven't got to hear them so I wanted copies to bore them with. Ha! No escape.

video

Anyhow, I've decided to put some of them up here on the old blog. Then anyone can have a listen. So if you suddenly develop a strange, unnatural urge to listen to my blatherings, here are three blathers. They're all about 10 minutes long and cover much of the same ground.

video

I can't possibly keep or post all of the interviews I do because (a) there are lots (Next Monday alone I have 13 interviews to do for the BBC), (b) it would be a trifle egotistical, and (c) I'd bore you all to death, slowly and painfully.

And all you'd learn is endurance.*

*Joke (c) 1868 Neil Henson.

Interviews (c) 2008 the respective radio stations.

5 comments:

Janet said...

Fantastic! Can't listen at work but will later, at home.

Keep us posted as more "personal appearances" and interviews are scheduled!

Janet

Stevyn Colgan said...

Janet - You brave, deluded soul. They were al good fun but I realy enjoyed the BBC Wales chat with Roy Noble. Smashing chap. One thing I didn't mention in the post is that I was asked to sign a kind of guest book that's being auctioned for Children In Need this year. The book was nearly full and I felt both humble and delighted as I found myself sharing my signature (and a quick sketch)with hundreds of very famous stars, celebs and media people. I went all wobbly. x

Janet said...

Deluded soul here.

I've just listened to all three interviews. Roy Noble's IS the most interesting, isn't it? I enjoyed his sense of enthusiasm. (And the accent is charming, too.)

It was great fun to hear you talk about the genesis of the book...and to put a voice to your words.

And Chris has had his few moments of fame, too.

Janet

Stevyn Colgan said...

Janet - Do you have a window in your rubber bedroom or do the nice nurses worry that the outside world may over-excite you?

Janet said...

Stevyn, other than the "One Show" dance - and a couple of food quirks - I'm considered reasonably sane. At least that's what they said at the clinic when the white-coated-ones released me.

Seriously, I'm afraid I'm sometimes given to over-excitement. My parents used to enjoy embarrassing me by telling my "Kindergarten" story to people (expecially to my friends). Apparently, when I first started, I was VERY excited about going to school. When my folks had their first parent/teacher meeting, the teacher told them that I was just beginning to settle down a bit - "Janet finally seems to understand that going to school isn't a short-term experience but is going to last." was a good representation of the infamous quote.

Hey, my personal view is that there are worse things than excess enthusiasm!

And maybe being American has something to do with it???

Janet