Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fourth of Fourth

I get a lot of tag requests; so many that if I responded to them all I'd forever be posting memes rather than my usual balderdash and piffle. But Willow has tagged me with something called 'Fourth of the Fourth' and it looked a bit different. This is how it works: you go to the fourth photo folder or file on your computer and select the fourth picture in it and post it on your blog with an explanation. Hmmm. Okay, I thought. Sounds like a laugh.

Now, I hold the Colgan family photographic archive and store it in year order, so the fourth folder is called 1930-1950 and this is the fourth photograph in it:

It's my late paternal grandfather (x marks the spot) posing with the crew of his ship, HMS Ganges, in 1937, little realising that war was just around the corner. Okay, so not as much of a laugh as I'd have liked ... so, how about only using photos taken within my life-time? In that case, the fourth folder is labelled 1965. And the fourth photo in it is this one:

Coincidentally, it's that same grandfather again, this time with me (right) and one of my brothers, Andrew (the non-photographer). Quite why we're sat in a pile of gravel on a heath somewhere is beyond me. Grandad was notoriously tight-fisted with money so maybe this was his cut-price way of getting us a sandpit? Or perhaps he was conning us into thinking we were at cheap theme park: "Come on kids, I'll take you an alien planet! Yeah! This is where every episode of Doctor Who and Blake's 7 was filmed ..."

Time to pass the Tag on to four of you (naturally). So let me choose some of you that I've not tagged before ... How about Lisa, Protege, Persephone and Planet Me?

Make me proud.

14 comments:

Protege said...

Stevyn, great photographs, incredible memories. And great commentary!
Now I will do my best to find some interesting "fourth" picture in my "fourth" computer folder.;)

willow said...

Wow!! You are FAST!! I loved these pix. And yes, I can see that is cute little you with your hand up. You were quite adorable...what happened? Just KIDDING!! You are still oh-so-handsome!

Thanks for playing along. Fun! :D

Lisa said...

Great photos - love the gravel pit one.

Have put my fourth of fourth up over at Tickle Belly.

Lisa

SIMONCOLGANPHOTOGRAPHY said...

I dun it 2

Planet Me said...

OK, I'm on this! I'll try to do it tonight after dinner..

Planet Me said...

Done!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Well done all (and my Bro too!). Fascinating little insights into Butlins, small relatives and alternative futures (no, really - check their blogs). And thanks Willow for suggesting it!

chris hale said...

Could the second picture be the ever-popular Redruth Model Village, complete with scaled down china clay mountains?

Stevyn Colgan said...

Chris - That's just the sort of thing he might have claimed. 'Oh and if you look closely, Stevyn, there's also a scale model of one of the Fylingdale early warning radar 'golf balls' too". Look ... I'm so happy I'm cheering. Life was simple in those days. As, apparently, was I.

Janet said...

Yes, life used to be so simple.

It has been a long LONG time since I could sit in front of a gravel pit and look so happy! Oh for the "good old days"...!!!!

Janet

Persephone said...

Done. And tagged. Where's the drawing? (You said...you saaaaaid you'd do it...) Ooh, am I whining? Must stop.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Janet - Oh yes. When I was a kid all I had was a stick, a Hula-hoop and a dead stoat to keep me entertained. Kids today. Harumph!

Persephone - Okay, okay ... I will. Honest. Watch this blog.

Katie said...

I can see some resemblance. ;)

Stevyn Colgan said...

Katie - Same IQ I expect. And, remember, I was tricked by gravel.