Friday, October 24, 2008

Debunking the Personality Test

I got an email from a good friend earlier who said, 'I tried that drawing personality test on your blog and got the same result as you, word for word. So I decided to try again and did a slightly different drawing. Guess what? I got the same result.' His first drawing was the expected mountains, trees and winding path. But here's what he drew the second time:

So, after I'd finish laughing and mopped up the tea that had just spurted from my nose, I thought I'd retake the test myself. Here's the happy picture that I drew:


And guess what? 'You tend to pursue many different activities simultaneously. When misfortune does happen, it doesn't actually dishearten you all that much.You are a direct and forthright person. You like to get to the core of the issue right away, with few signs of hesitation. You like following the rules and being objective. You are precise and meticulous, and like to evaluate decisions before making them. You have a sunny, cheerful disposition.'

I then repeated the test a couple more times - even leaving the drawing blank one time. The only thing that actually affected the results was how I answered the four questions.

Proof, if proof were needed, that internet-based personality tests are bunkum!

12 comments:

Persephone said...

You guys are evil, evil, I tell you! I made the observation on my own blog (and I quote): Frankly, I think the same effect can be achieved by imagining a splendid landscape (such as that I can't create) and answering the questions about it, rather than actually drawing this travesty.

However, this "test" may tell us more about human nature than we think. I clicked on the "most popular drawings" link and was rather stunned by what some people can achieve with a computer mouse. (I'm rather stunned by what you can achieve with a computer mouse, but that's a different matter...)

Protege said...

This is a hilarious post Stevyn.:P
Being a scientist by profession, I seek proof and facts, so this one agrees with me.;)
I had a feeling the questions were more important than the drawing, as why have all those questions otherwise?

Stevyn Colgan said...

Persephone - All very true. But how would we get our childish, puerile kicks otherwise?

Stevyn Colgan said...

Protege - Absolutely right. A scientist eh? I am in rarified company indeed!

willow said...

Okay...you lured me over. I had to see why in the heck this drawing was on my blogroll. Actually, you are amazingly talented with a mouse. This is really what the test is all about.

Katie said...

ahahahaha! that is SO awesome.

but man you do have some computer mouse drawing talent! ;)

Stevyn Colgan said...

Katie et al - I feel strangely guilty admitting this after all the praise ... but the green bogie creature a few posts back was drawn entirely with a mouse. That's why he's composed completely of straight lines.

This whole computer art malarkey is new to me. I'm now learning how to use a graphics tablet. I wonder what I'll turn out with that?

Debby said...

Your drawing much more detailed than the poorly done picture of the cactus. :^D

Oh, man, you can just never tell what you're going to discover over at Stevyn's place. Still laughing.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Debby - Oh, it's a cactus! Of course! And there was me thinking it was a rocket blasting off through clouds of ... er ... hairy smoke?

Debby said...

A rocket blasting off through clouds of hairy smoke? Honestly. It's quite evident that you have no imagination at all. Any one with a whit of artistic talent could see it's a cactus....
:^D

Piers said...

But assuming you're not lying, the answers to the questions depend on the picture you drew. Or imagined.

Not that you're going to get much useful analysis out of three or four questions, mind.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Hi Piers - You make a valid point. It would have been pointless drawing a certain type of tree and then answering the tree-related question differently. It's still a load of twaddle though isn't it?

Welcome! Thanks for popping by (I have checked your own blog a number of times having been led there by the ubiquitous Mr Arnopp. Always a good read.)