Saturday, October 11, 2008

Can these people not read?

Another great photo from Cornwall (Newlyn harbour in fact) by my brother Simon. Click on the photo for a larger version and read what's on the building behind the two fishermen.

Perhaps they saw the word 'save' as meaning to 'accumulate' rather than 'protect'? That's the thing about our curious old English language ... we have so many words that take on multiple meanings. As I wrote back in January here:

'Spare a thought for the humble word ‘set’. Doesn’t look like a troublesome word does it? Believe it or not, ‘set’ has 58 uses as a noun, 126 as a verb and 10 as an adjective. It takes the Oxford English Dictionary 60,000 words to explain it. '

I believe that English is the only language that requires a Thesaurus. So maybe I can excuse these chaps.

4 comments:

chris hale said...

They are saving it, Stevyn. It's just that they're killing it, and then saving it in a freezer. Or giving it to Iceland to save in one of their freezers.

And speaking of Iceland, please treat this entry as an unashamed plug for the most recent posting in The Middenshire Chronicles!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Chris - I shall waste no time in looking!

chris hale said...

I'm not sure how to take that!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Ha! I did unashamedly nab that quote. I think it was Groucho Marx who used it first when replying to a persistent writer:

'Thank you for sending me your manuscript of XXX. I shall waste no time in reading it.'

Genius.