Tuesday, October 14, 2008

But what does she do for fun?

Here's a story I thought I'd share with you if you missed it. Quite unique in this day and age, I'd suggest.

105-year-old virgin says no sex the key to long life

A woman celebrating her 105th birthday says that celibacy and staying single has been the key to her long life.

Clara Meadmore, a retired secretary, who still has her own hair, teeth and sharp wit, never had time for a family and lived alone until going into care. She said: "I've always had lots of platonic friendships with men but never felt the need to go further than that or marry."

Miss Meadmore, who was born in Glasgow and lived in Canada and New Zealand before settling in Cornwall 40 years ago, also added that she had never had any interest in sex. "I imagine there is a lot of hassle involved and I have always been busy doing other things," she said. "When I was a girl you only had sex with your husband and I never married. I grew up in an era where little girls were to be seen and not heard so I had to learn to stand up for myself and earn my own living. Some men don't like that in a woman and before long I was too old to marry anyway."

Miss Meadmore has never owned a television, but she enjoys the radio, and is a particular fan of the BBC Radio 4 Woman's Hour programme. She also enjoys cooking, gardening and reading.
She saved up her salary and spent the money going on walking tours in many parts of Britain in the 1920s and 1930s, and she still has the diaries of the trips. A friend, Josie Harvey, who has known her for 30 years, said: "She was fiercely independent and believed in doing things her own way, and that allowed her to live a long life. She has kept a great interest in what is going on in the world and she is a wonderful source of information."

Miss Meadmore is due to celebrate her 105th birthday on Saturday at a party at the Perran Bay nursing home in Perranporth, Cornwall.

Taken from an article by Richard Savill, Daily Telegraph.

25 comments:

willow said...

No sex, no TV?! Oy.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Looks like I'll live to be at least 90 then. Sigh. lol
x

chris hale said...

So, without sex we'd all live to 105? No, but it would seem that long.

I'm hopeful that one day the secret of immortality will be unlocked. I maintain that it'll be by a scientist who can't bear the thought of missing a single episode of their favourite soap.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Chris - I just know that the discoverer of immortality will be some whining, miserable old goat who'll just use the opportunity to whinge throughout all eternity. I see him (or her) as the very last human being alive at the end of time. They'll watch the universe slowy wink out of existence sround them and grumble, 'Well, that wasn't worth waiting for was it? Call yourself Armageddon? Absolute rubbi ...'

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

Wow she has to the oldest virgin in the world....but is she happy??

Stevyn Colgan said...

Srah - I have no idea. But I suspect that if she is, her happiness won't last.

punk in writing said...

In this case I think I'd prefer quality over quantity...

Stevyn Colgan said...

Punky - Always ... but nil?

Persephone said...

In this case I think I'd prefer quality over quantity...

Is a life without sex one that lacks quality? Certainly it lacks a certain kind of quality. However, there are other ways of expressing love (which would be my definition of a life of quality) than sexually. I've had sex, had children, had marriage, but do I dare say that my life has had higher quality than this lady's? No. It's had a different quality, a different kind of happiness, that's all. Can you have a happy life without sex? Are all children unhappy? Are all nuns unhappy? Just askin'...

Stevyn Colgan said...

Persephone - Well this lady seems to have had a fulfilled life. She did whatever she wanted to do during a time when women were supposed to be subservient and fawning. she didn't take any crap and she didn't follow the path that society decreed she should have trodden. Good luck to her I say. How many of us will be able to look back on our lives and say the same? The story just fascinated me as, frankly, it should be a non-story. But in the thrill-obsessed, sex-for-sale, Heat magazine 21st century, she is a curious anomaly.

And of course nuns aren't happy. Just ask anyone who went to a Catholic school.

Debby said...

I'm 51, and dealing with a life threatening illness, and now someone gets around to letting me in on the secret?!!!!...hell.

punk in writing said...

I was thinking more in terms of long life versus full life and the things people do to keep themselves alive.

However the lady in question looks like she got both quantity and quality.

This article sparked an interesting discussion at work; things one would be willing to give up to hang around a bit longer.

Debby said...

PS: I've also been thinking. Has this information come in time for ANY of us?

Debby said...

Okay. No sex. But what about drugs and rock 'n roll?

I'm done now. I swear.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Punky - We all love those discussions at work. I remember once hearing a guy say he'd give up beer if he could live to be a hundred. Yet he smoked. So why couldn't he see that giving up smoking would gain him years?

Debby - It's way too late for me. And you. But at least we have some interesting memories. I hope! As for drugs and rock and roll - the best you'll get from me is a strong tea and some XTC (the band - not the drug).

Debby said...

Well, no, I was referring to the dear little old lady...

Sorry.

doctawho42 said...

Not too late for me. HA!
But, I couldn't imagine being like that dear old lady anyway.

Also, old people are all sort of virgins in my mind, because the thought of them...oh, god. Just too ghastly to contemplate really. But, good on her, standing up to society's pressures and what not.

Persephone said...

Debby, we were having a discussion about this on another blog a few months back, and the consensus seemed to be that one's eighties and nineties would be a good time to finally try out dangerous drugs, because what the hell... I'm planning to start stockpiling some LSD against the day; I've always been curious about the stuff. And I'm never giving up rock 'n' roll.

Doctawho42, no doubt you think you'll never be an old person, let alone one that has sex, but believe me, if the opportunity arises and you have the inclination, you will.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Doctawho42 - I admire your wisdom and envu your youth!

Persephone - Let's make a date. We all meet somewhere like Stonehenge in 2050 (when we'll all be a lot older than now) and we'll get completely off our ta-tas. Although, by then, we'll all live to be 300 and drugs will be legal. You just wait and see.

Persephone said...

I don't see myself getting much beyond 2030 (unless I cut out the sex -- with the lights out, of course, Doctawho42), but if I'm still around, I'll be there! Who's buying?

Stevyn Colgan said...

Persephone - Yeah, I was being ambitious there. But if we do all live to be 300 we'll just be young whipper-snappers! Probably with more emphasis on the 'snap' than the 'whip' though. Ooh, my hips. As for who's buying, drugs will be plentiful and free and will pop from the eyes of genetically-engineered rainbow-coloured teddy bears. Just to give your trip a good head start.

Me said...

It's good to know I am going to live to be so old.... only 65 years to go then.....

Stevyn Colgan said...

Me - Oh no. Your end's in sight. Er ... I'll put the binoculars away.

Katie said...

I would rather have sex and die young then live a long ass life with no sex.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Katie - That would appear to be the consensus! Except the die young part.