Friday, September 12, 2008

Yarr! It be that time o' the year again!

The wind is in me britches and I've greased me rollocks ... It can only mean one thing, me proud Buckos! Talk like a Pirate Day be just one week away, wi' a curse!

The idea be as simple as one, two ... er ...

On ye day in question, ye talk like a pirate all day! No matter where ye be ... at work (damn the honest man!), at play, or at nefarious business, ye pepper yer parlance wi' lot of 'Avast!' and 'Look'ee!' and strange gutteral growls. If ye wants to dress yerself as a pirate too, then that adds to ye fun. Then you tap the honest men and women you meet of all their coin to give to charity. Aye, for that be the point of Pirate Day - to ease the sufferin' of those less fortunate than we.

In the fair city of London this year, all kinds o' events are taking place on ye South Bank of Old Father Thames. Mad Cap'n Tom (ye ringleader) explains all:

"The big news this year, matey, be that the Cap'n be attendin' the first-ever London Pirate Festival, which be happenin' on Pirate Day an' the weekend after along the South Bank. For the young'uns, there be a Pirate Fun Day an' a sleepover on the grand ship Golden Hinde, plus pirate foolin' wi' a wondrous bloke called Jonathan Kaye. Fer yer more grown-up pirates, there be parties galore on the nights o'the Festival including a top secret one on the final night, plus a proper grand Rum Tastin' event (ten types o'rum, six quid) on the Saturday. Also, they be gettin' pirate skirmishes goin' up an' down the South Bank - text a number, an' on each day ye be gettin' a couple o' locations t'meet at an' swashbuckle (safely, o' course!)I be proud t'be a part o'the whole thing, an' I hope t'be seein' ye there! More info an' tickets from the London Pirate Festival website or from Cap'n Tom's Facebook page. Yaaaarrrr!"

I shall be there with me new-fangled camera to capture some visages no doubt. I may even wear me best eyepatch. 'tis all for charity after all! Gaaarrn!


Poster art by me - a larger PDF copy for display can be downloaded from the UK Talk Like a Pirate Day website (above).

11 comments:

punk in writing said...

Sigh. I wish we had events like theses over here. Getting dressed up and talking silly is one of the things that makes life worth living.

Debby said...

What are the rules here, matey? Can women talk like pirates, or do we have to be pirate wenches? Argh.

willow said...

This is very odd. WT would love this. I won't tell him, or I'm sure he would find some excuse to be there in full pirate dress!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Punky - Maybe it's time someone started the Scandinavian branch ...

Debby - One of the hallmarks of piracy, surely, is that it is not bound by conventions of sex, creed, faith, race or even sexual orientation? You can be what ye want to be, by sword and fire!

Willow - I hate to say it but the Americans started this! Visit the US site at the foot of the post and who knows? There may be an event nearby that can satisfy WT's inner buccaneer.

chris hale said...

Arr, Lad! So, ye be draggin' yer salty old carcass to London, be ye? Do 'ee 'ave a care, wi' a curse! The streets of that 'ere city be filled wi' varmints, cut-purses, jades, doxies and the Press (I means the Press Gangs, look'ee!)

Remember the words of old Cap'n Kydd, as they made to string 'im up at Execution Dock. Hopin' for a last minute rescue, he a-cried out, "Where's me buccaneers?" And answer came there, "either side of your buccan head!"

A fair wind and calm seas says I, sa-ha!

Persephone said...

Well, I googled this and it's invaded Canada too, even my current city of residence: Ontario
Ottawa - Capn Jeff and Lili the Wench write: "We be havin the second best party in Canada’s capital city this year (Ye all know the biggest is Canada Day). We be havin the first annual Talk Like A Pirate Day! The Buxomest Wenches and Heartiest Scurvy Dogs be in attendance to shiver the timbers of Davey Jones!!"


Damn. My West Country accent is rubbish (and I'm not buxom by any stretch of the imagination) and it's the same day the CBC begins transmitting the latest season of Doctor Who (we had to wait until after the Stanley Cup and the Olympics this year, the scum -- thank God for YouTube): Does this mean we have to yell "Ahoy" and "Ta-a-a-a-a-rdis!" at the TV screen?

Stevyn Colgan said...

Chris - Never forget that I still have the pictures of you and the inflatable parrot ...

Persephone - Nice to see that Canada has joined the gang! As for the Westcountry accent, I shouldn't fret. We can blame a lot of that on Robert Newton's eccentric cinematic portrayal of Long John Silver. While it's true that Blackbeard Teach was from Bristol, most pirates were anything but yokels. One of the most powerful was the Chinese lady pirate Ching Shih who commanded 70,000 pirates on 400 ships. And nastiest of the bunch was the Frenchman Francois L'Ollonais who personally beheaded or hacked his prisoners to pieces, and who once chained a man to the mast, slit him open and forced him to dance his own innards out. Urp. I hope you've not just eaten.

You'll really enjoy this season of Doctor Who - watch out for the two-parter 'Silence in the Library' - amazing stuff!

chris hale said...

The inflatable parrot! Garn! That's Betty Sutton you be a'talking of!

Persephone said...

Seen the whole season on YouTube already (couldn't wait, and besides, I had to join in the fray at Marie Phillips' blog, didn't I?), and I agree about the Steven Moffat two-parter being the best. Am planning to savour the whole thing again on full screen, before obsessively watching the DVD set in November. (And yes, I have just eaten, it's 8:30 here -- urp indeed! None of that nonsense on September 19th, right?)

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

Oh my, could you even imagine if I did this to my local Okies, they have enough trouble already!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Chris - You'm right! It had slipped my memory! Now there's a name to conjure with ...

Sarah - Go on ... they'd love it!

Persephone - Oh good. Best cliffhanger on TV for years wasn't it? Well, my sources inside the show tell me that the Christmas special this year is superb. I'm told that David Morrissey is excellent as are the Cybershades ...