Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Things I like

Cick here to read the rest of this fantastic spoof of the old Ladybird Books. Thanks for the link Huw. It made me laugh.

And while we're looking at funny stuff, I took delivery of four signed prints today. They were created by Wilf Lunn who, for a certain age of Briton, may be remembered as the mad professor-type character who turned up on children's TV shows in the 1970s with his extraordinary W Heath Robinson type contraptions. Habitually dressed in straw boater and John Lennon specs, Wilf had a particular genius for creating hugely complex gadgetry usually employed to perform some uttery insignificant task.

Well, Wilf's still around (his website is here) and still as barking as ever. And I was so taken with his mad bicycles that I bought a set of his prints. Here's an example - the Worm Catcher cycle.

Apparently, the balls on strings pummel the ground making the worms believe that it's raining. They come up to the surface and you grab them. Bonkers.

6 comments:

Rob (Inukshuk Adventure) said...

Hilarious!

Oh how I laughed - damn nearly choked on an oyster!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Rob - Glad you survived. Those bivalve molluscs can be tricky things.

rob said...

I'd forgotten Wilf Lunn existed. Bless him.

Thanks for reminding me, there goes another mornings work...

Stevyn Colgan said...

Rob - Yup, he's still here and as raving mad as ever. How much demand can there possibly be for an Owl Scarer after all?

Katie said...

uh what?? I want to see this bike in action. haha!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Katie - Yes ... it is a bit odd isn't it?