Monday, September 29, 2008

Superbug bites back

My whole life I've known the advertising strapline used by the makers of Domestos bleach:

Domestos kills all known germs. Dead.

That's a pretty stark and confident claim isn't it? Every known germ. Dead. But it's true; raw, undiluted bleach kills everything. Sadly, because it's as harmful to humans as it is to germs, it isn't used in public institutions like it used to be. Which is maybe why superbugs like MRSA were able to get a toehold in our hospitals.

I mention this because I saw an advert for another, similar cleaning product today that claims:

Kills 99.9% of all known germs.

Whoa there! What about the other 0.1%? Why is there suddenly a bunch of bugs and beasties out there that cannot be killed? And what are they?

I think we should be told.

No comments: