Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mr Blue Sky

Mr Blue Sky is such an infrequent visitor to these shores that you have to make the best of him when he calls. So, as it was such a cracking day today, I took the time between meetings and appointments to snap a few pictures of structures that looked particularly great against that deep blue. The red cranes were on a building site next to the little chapel in Great Portland Street as were the modernist white and green office buildings. The final two pictures are of London's iconic British Telecom Tower. I managed to get right underneath it, near the base - I suspect that many of you will not have seen it from this viewpoint before.

When I was 12, I visited the Post Office Tower* on a school trip for Cornwall and we had lunch in the rotating restaurant at the top. Sadly, just weeks later, it was bombed by Irish terrorists and the restaurant stopped revolving. No tourists have been allowed inside since, which is a shame. Many people still call it the Post Office Tower even though the Royal Mail hasn't been involved in the telecommunications business since the days when we still had dials on our phones and I was still in short trousers.

I did my first proper press interview today, which was a bit scary but quite exciting. And my good friend Liz landed her dream job as a professional photographer.

So, all in all, a very nice day!

*What the BT Tower used to be called.

4 comments:

Katie said...

that is an unusual looking building. Dallas doesn't have anything like that! well, we have the grassy knoll of Dealey Plaza. Heh.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Katie - Oh we have a lot weirder than that. Try Googling 'The Erotic Gherkin' on an image search. You'll find St Mary Axe, one of London's more startling but beautiful buildings. I love it and have photographed it many times.

Rob (Inukshuk Adventure) said...

Aah, wonderful reminders of London, a white van and a black cab!

Actually if it weren't for them, I might not have recognised that blue skied setting!!!

BTW, great pics.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Thanks Rob! I did have a few shots with the uniquitous red London bus too but they obscured too much of the foreground. As I type this, it's 11am on Saturday morning and the sun is shining ... is it possible? Two nice days in a row??!!