Saturday, September 06, 2008

Cat-ering

That's it. No more terrible cat puns. You'll all be catatonic otherwise. And that would be a catastrophe.

I thought you might be interested to see the evolution of this one. It started as a sketch in a notebook, doodled during a particularly dull meeting that I needn't have been at. A lot of meetings are like that aren't they? Meetings - the practical alternative to work.

Anyway, I decided to work it up into a painting, so out came the acrylics. I didn't finish it, however, because I realised that it was looking worryingly like an Amanda Visell painting. I'm a big fan of LA-based Ms Visell and I reckon that I'd subliminally absorbed some of her style.

It's an occupational hazard; you look at enough work by other artists - especially your favourite artists - and you become inspired. And, without realising it, you start to copy elements of the other person's work. It's something I have to watch all the time. I am an artistic sponge.

So I scrapped the picture and left the whole project alone until this week when I recreated it in the computer. Thankfully, I think I've now produced something a little more uniquely me and a lot more like my original sketch than the painting was.

Go and have a look at Amanda's work. It's wonderfully naive, witty and wonderful. And she's produced a fabulous board book of her pictures called Popping through Pictures. I highly recommend it.

Artwork copyright (c) 2008 Stevyn Colgan

7 comments:

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

Not if you're a sucker for cats like me

Stevyn Colgan said...

Actually ... I'm not terribly fond of cats if the truth be known. I've always had pet cats (and have two at the moment) but they've always been brought into my life by girlfriends, wives or kids. I'm much more of a dog person. With dogs get loyalty, home security and an excuse to go for a walk. With cats you get haughtiness, shredded furniture and smelly flower beds. But, there are more puns involving the word 'Cat' than there are for 'Dog' so I'm stuck really.

Me said...

Good to see your creative side is flowing strongly again - have you had some new software on that mac of yours leading to such a plethora of fine cat pics?

Stevyn Colgan said...

Hi Me - Nah ... same old software. I did the Fat Cat but when I went to scan the original sketch to post up on the blog I saw sketches for about 4 or 5 other cat pun pics and thought ... I really should get around to working them up as finished art ...

Problem is ... I have hundreds of sketch books stuffed full of ideas like this!

Me said...

that's not a problem silly - it's a talent.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Hello all - regular readers will see that I've updated this post. I suddenly realised that I'd forgotten to give Chef Pussy a chef's hat. So, I corrected that glaring omission and, while I was at it, I added some extra content. x

Stevyn Colgan said...

Me - I guess so. Oh, good word 'plethora' by the way. we should all use it more often. x