Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Will you be my friend?

I went to make a cup of tea yesterday evening and noticed a small, irregularly-shaped piece of paper poking in through my front door letter box. It was a typewritten note and it said (suitably edited for anonymity's sake):

Several weeks ago a model engineer visited the track of XXXXX Model Engineering Club. He spoke to me about becoming a member of the club. Unfortunately I lost all the gentleman's details except that he lived in XXXXX. If you are the gentleman in question and are still interested in joining, please contact me.

... followed by the writer's contact details. Now, I may be reading more into this than I should, but I was struck by the poignancy of the note. Here was someone who'd found a connection with another human being that he'd then tragically lost (or is that too melodramatic?). I just wonder ... would I be so desperate to find that person again that I'd leaflet an entire area?

I found the whole incident a little bit sad. And I mean sad in an 'Awwww, bless' kind of way as opposed to the sarcastic 'sad' that people use to denote patheticness. Patheticity. Whatever the word is.

I do hope he finds his friend.

12 comments:

Janet said...

When things like this happen, I SO want to find out what eventually happens. And we rarely do.

Janet

Stevyn Colgan said...

Me too. Bless him.

willow said...

Awww, bless, is right! I hope this guy's efforts pay off. Funny little note...bet you weren't expecting that one! Model Engineering Club is just too cute.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Willow - Isn't it? I've got half a mind to phone him and ask how he got on.

It won't be the first time someone's said that I have half a mind.

Debby said...

I'd have to phone him. You have a perfect opportunity to discover the rest of the story. Another blog post, perhaps?

Stevyn Colgan said...

I'm going to phone today - I really am!

chris hale said...

My cynical head says this probably isn't a model engineer, but more likely the Bucks County Axe Maniac touting for unsuspecting victims. Attempting to contact someone to join a model makers' club seems a bit far-fetched.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Dear all - I called ... and got voicemail! So I left a message that I hope doesn't say, 'Listen Saddo - do you find him'. Now waiting on tenterhooks for a reply ...

Janet said...

I'm SURE I don't need to tell you to keep us posted, Stevyn!

Janet

Stevyn Colgan said...

Still no reply ...

Stevyn Colgan said...

He has just phoned! His name is Peter and he's a thoroughly nice chap. Not at all weird. But, sadly, he hasn't found his friend yet. So, no happy ending I'm afraid. Snif.

Stevyn Colgan said...

I talked to Peter today - just to wrap the whole sad story up. His new friend never called.

Fade to black.

Roll credits.

Sob.