Friday, August 22, 2008

They're fans Jim but not as we know it

Okay. So Star Trek fans are Trekkers (apparently, they prefer this to Trekkies) and Doctor Who fans are Whovians. Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans are Scoobies, Firefly fans are Browncoats, Red Dwarf fans are Smegheads or Dwarfers and X-Files fans are X-Philes.

But is there any kind of collective term for Star Wars fans? I've not heard any one single answer. Yes, there are Jedi and Stormtroopers and Droids ... but considering that this is the biggest sci-fi franchise of them all, why doesn't there appear to be a cuddly, catchy, catchall nickname for the gazillions of Star Wars fans?

Ideas anyone? I mean sensible, non-derogatory or obscene ideas.

Anyone can say 'Sad bastards'.

4 comments:

chris hale said...

Hmm...what about Lucasoids? Or Star Bores? Or maybe just The Force (or should it be The Service in these political-correctness-gone
-bonkers days)?

Incidentally, could such fans have a TV programme dedicated to them, where they dress up as their favourite characters and sing? I think it should be called "Death Stars in Their Eyes". I can just imagine some geek dressed as Jar Jar Binks, tears streaming down his face, singing "I will survive." Oh no you won't, matey.

Debby said...

You're casting about for obscene ideas? This surprises me. :^D

No clever ideas at all. Of course, I'm not a big fan. I liked the original trilogy, but saw none of the movies after that. Borrowing from Mr. Hale, how about 'binkies'? Carrying on his television series idea, I immediately thought of Vader singing 'Feelings (wo wo wo feelings.)' Yoda singing "Kung Fu fighting". His idea has merit.

chris hale said...

Stevyn, sorry, it's me again. First off, please ask Debby to call me Chris; Mr. Hale is way too formal and makes me feel I'm back at work (shudders).

How about Obi Wan singing "Rocket Man?".."and I think it's gonna be a long, long time...a loooong time.."

Sorry. I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at; you've seen Part IV a few times, I surmise?

Stevyn Colgan said...

Debby - Forenames are good ... We're all chums here! Yes, I can see bunch of chaps in white armour singing ABBA's 'Super Troopers' and Jabba the Hutt with his rendition of 'Baby's got back' ... "I like big butts and .."

Chris - Oh yes. I've seen them all very, very often. Naturally, I've seen the original trilogy many more times than the newer, crappier trilogy ... Wootini!