Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My subconscious betrays me

I doodle a lot when I'm on the phone. Sometimes it's just lines, patterns and squiggles. But at other times, I find myself drawing all kinds of weird and wonderful things. Today I doodled a boy pirate and a teddy bear (see above). What does that say about my state of mind, eh? A desire to be a child again? A repressed wish to be free of the shackles of adulthood? I'm sure any good psychoanalyst would soon set me straight. But then, what would he or she say about these?
An ageing hippy proclaiming that he loves everyone ...
Three curious chums whose initials make up the word BED (maybe I was tired) ...


And two very different monsters that share a common goal; picking baked beans from a tin, one by one ...

Are doodles like dreams? Do they work with symbolism rather than literal interpretation (ie a dream about a caterpillar turning into a moth can mean a change in life circumstances rather than you being about to turn into a Kafka-esque bug in your sleep)?

Or is it just my unbearable oddness coming through?

6 comments:

Stuart Peel said...

Gerald Scarfe has made a very good living out of this type of stuff. Clever sod, my drawings look like a 5 year old did them.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Hi Stu - Yeah, the second bean picker does have a Maggie Thatcher kind of look to it, doesn't it?

Rob said...

Oddness, yes. Talent, indubitably!

Debby said...

Talent manifested oddly? :D

Janet said...

Personally, I think of "talent" first - THEN the oddness. And that's a compliment, BTW!

Janet

Stevyn Colgan said...

Blush ... you guys ...