Tuesday, August 19, 2008

More good news!

More good news indeed! Arran Gavin, son of my good friend Dinosaur Dave (creator of the Dinocafe), and his missus have just had a boucing baby boy called William. Well done! Dave's now a grandad like me. Ha ha ha ha!

And John Soanes and his lovely much better half Jules got married on Saturday. I wish them every joy. Sadly, Dawn and I couldn't be there as we couldn't get dog sitters ... so we took the dogs to Cornwall instead. I'm sure we missed a wonderful event but our best wishes go to them nonetheless. Mwah.

And haven't we done well at the Olympics? Third in the medal ratings after China and the USA! Not bad for a tiny little country like GB eh? Mind you, it does seem to me that we've been winning medals for hobbies rather than sports. Rowing. Yachting. Cycling. Swimming. Horse riding. Not pole vaulting or hurdles or gymnastics. It's a shame there wasn't a stamp collecting event. Or huge vegetable growing. We'd have won the Gold easily I reckon.

But I jest ... Well done everyone! You make me proud to be British.

9 comments:

willow said...

Congrats on the birth of baby William. And also for your great job in the Olympic games! Kudos all round!!

Yes, too bad there's no stamp collecting competition or Yorkshire Pudding bake-off.

chris hale said...

Veg growing...now there's an idea. But each event would be over-long, wouldn't it? Imagine waiting for the germination, the hoped-for growth spurt, the endless nights of watching your turnip to make sure it doesn't get knobbled. The Olympics would have to be much longer than a fortnight.

I think our mutual friend, Trevor Evans "The Bus" would be way out in front with his enormous leek. What do you think?

Stevyn Colgan said...

Willow and Chris - I'm quite taken by the idea of a Hobbyist Olympics. How proud would you be if you won the gold for 10 metres runner bean? Or the Freestyle Men's Muckspreading? Or the Trainspotters' Anorak Relay?

Janet said...

One of the small Oxfordshire villages near us - Tackley - apparently has an Olympics competition of its own. I would SO like to get a photo of their sign, but I can't find a safe place in the road to stop.

I can't help but think of Monty Python...something about taking the bra off the dummy?????

Janet

Stevyn Colgan said...

Janet - Curiously enough I read all about these 'Olympics' in J R Daeschner's excellent book 'True Brits' (www.truebrits.tv) a couple of years ago. Aren't they held in Chipping Camden? And, even more coincidentally, last week (wednesday) Rory McGrath and Paddy McGuinness started a TV series on Channel 5 called 'Rory and Paddy's Great British Adventure' in which they participate in a host of bizarre British 'folk' sports like shin kicking, cheese rolling and river football. And where did the series begin? With the Cotswold Olympics in Chipping Camden. The next episode is on at 9pm tonight.

And as for Monty Python ... yes, it was 'Taking the bra off the Debs'; an event during the Upper Class Twit of the Year Show'!

S
x

Janet said...

Stevyn, I've Googled my fingers off and can find nothing about events in Tackley - except the story (from two summers ago) about the Harrier jet that crashed on the A4260 near there. But they are doing something in Tackley, too. Just wish I could get close to one of those signs!

THANKS - that's right - taking the bra off the Debs. Hmmmm....debutantes (sp?)...or a series of dressmakers' dummies named Debbie????

Janet

Stevyn Colgan said...

Janet - Debutantes they were! Other events, you may recall, included slamming the car door, shooting the rabbit, kicking the beggar, jumping the matchbox and killing themselves. Wonderful stuff. x

John Soanes said...

"He doesn't know when he's beaten, this boy, he doesn't know when he's winning either. He doesn't have any sort of sensory apparatus..." A brilliant sketch indeed.

Thanks for the kind words about our wedding Steve - it all went very well, and I'll post properly about it as soon as I get a break from unpacking!

J

Stevyn Colgan said...

Mr Soanes! Lovely to have both you and Mr Peel back! I trust you're not too exhausted ...