Tuesday, August 05, 2008

His dead meat?

Here's a curious overheard conversation I witnessed in central London today. I was queueing in a bank to pay a bill and a chap was in front of me being served at the counter. I'm not sure what the correct PC term is but he had what I'd call a strong 'African' accent with quite heavy inflection on certain syllables. There also seemed to be a French lilt to it, but I may be wrong. Anyway, he completed his business and then said to the cashier,
"His dead meat, please."
He beamed at her with an outrageously huge smile.
The cashier looked at him, apologised (how British!) and said, "I'm sorry, I missed that."
"His dead meat", said the customer, still smiling.
"His ... dead ... meat?" said the cashier nervously.
"Yes. I would like his dead meat."
The cashier looked puzzled, lost and confused. But then the light of realisation came to her eyes.
"Ah! A statement! You want a statement!"
"Yes", said the smiling customer. "I want his dead meat."

Say it quickly and with a big smile on your face.

It put a smile on mine.

5 comments:

willow said...

OMG...I can't even type!!!!!!! That is TOO much!!! I really needed a good laugh.

Rob said...

Oh I love this story!
We're having some fun here with teaching Canadians to understand English. Todays fun revolved around four and fawn. Seems I'm not winning.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Willow - Real life always provides the best comedy. As they say over here, 'There's nowt so queer as folk'.

Rob - Teaching Canadians English? I presume that they're from French-speaking Quebec?

Janet said...

I've just spurted coffee out onto my keyboard! What a fantastic story!

And I must learn to not have a mouth full of coffee when reading one of your blog entries!

Janet

Stevyn Colgan said...

Janet - Hope there was no sugar in there. It makes the keyboard all sticky.