Sunday, July 13, 2008

It's been a Quite Interesting week ...

Hello all. Sorry if posts have been a trifle thinner on the ground than usual but things have been very busy since I came back from holiday. And this week, in particular, has been manic. The news that The Bookseller has made Joined-Up Thinking their Top Title gift/stocking-filler book for October meant that things shifted up a gear on the promotional side and I'm now embroiled in plans with my publishers for marketing the book both pre-and post-release.

In addition, John Lloyd of QI has asked me to contribute some illustrations to this year's QI ANNUAL: F. So I've been nose to the drawing board too. It's even more of a rush than usual as I'm off to the USA Thursday week. My good friends James Murphy, Joel Meadows, Gary Marshall and I will be attending Comic-Con International in San Diego. Plus, Murphy and I are planning to spend a couple of days in LA. We both have a strange craving to share a photo with the Hollywood sign ...

I can't reveal any of the QI pictures yet, but I will say that they include a foraging comedian, a stolen painting, delinquent apemen, giant mice and a pickled mammoth. More on that as and when I can! As you can probably guess, the F Annual looks to be as interesting and eclectic as last year's E Annual. You can pre-order it here.

So, busy, busy, busy. Of course, this means that I'll now be contributing to two books being released this Christmas. Wouldn't it be great if they both did well? What a great start to my new career as a writer and artist.

Pinch me.

6 comments:

Jon M said...

Christmas? already?! I'll start making my list! :)

Stevyn Colgan said...

Actually, since I posted this, I've realised that I've written eight posts this week ... so maybe I haven't been as lazy as I thought!

Stevyn Colgan said...

Jon - I know, scary isn't it? But the fact is that for a book to sell well at Christmas, it needs to be published Oct-Nov. And that means it has to be printed and distributed and marketed to the trade in Aug-Sept. Which means that now, here in July, everyone is frantically rushing to finish illustrations, proof-read, test print, commission forewords ... and then, of course, there's the Frankfurt Book Fair coming up. All this and, somehow, fitting the Summer Holidays in! It's the busiest time of the year right now. And, you know as well as I do, Christmas will be upon us before we can say 'Fat bloke with a beard!'

willow said...

Kudos!! This is exciting news!

Pickled mammoth?

John Soanes said...

It's all happening, isn't it?

And as for the scheduling, my mother used to work in a newsagent, and they'd have the chocolate reps coming in sometime like August to show the plans for the Easter Eggs. I think some of them would be placeholders like 'kid's film that's big after Christmas' or even 'teen band that's about to be heavily promoted', that kind of thing.

J

Stevyn Colgan said...

Willow - Pickled mammoth is a delicacy over here. Yum.

John S - Curiously enough, during my one and only attempt to perform stand up back in 1981, I made some facetious comment along the lines of 'soon they'll be draping the tinsel over the creme eggs ...'

I was the comedy Nostradamus of my day, you know. And just as funny.