Friday, July 18, 2008

Hellboy - Hell yes!

I can't review Hellboy II: The Golden Army yet as there's an embargo on it until the 20th August ... but I can tell you that it's bloody great! Del Toro has done us proud. I laughed. I cheered. I gasped. I even ducked as large and noisy things appeared to be flying off the screen towards me. The film is 1000% better than Hellboy because the director has been allowed to flex his creative muscles; the same muscles that got him Oscar-nominated for Pan's Labyrinth. The main characters are well acted and have developed since the first film - particularly Abe Sapien. And Luke Goss puts in a fine performance as the baddie. Back in the 1980s, as one third of proto-boyband Bros, he wailed 'When will I be famous?' I think it's fair to say that the answer is probably 'Now'. New characters are slotted skilfully into the mix and the monsters ... Wow.

Del Toro has cherry-picked some of the most adventurous artists and designers to people Hellboy's world and it's paid off. Wayne Barlowe's hand is clear to see on many of the designs, for example. I'll review it fully in a few days time. Meanwhile, all I can say is, go and shout for Red! Hellboy II is the best thing I've seen this year. Hell yes.

11 comments:

Stuart Peel said...

Ah there you are Mr. Colgan, we were starting to worry. Are you by any chance going to see Batman soon, because I hear it may be something very special too.

willow said...

I'll pass this info onto my own Hellboys...

Silly new profile pic...unbearably odd! :):):)

Stevyn Colgan said...

I'm alive! And so the oddest named superhero - The Factory - is finally unmasked!

Stuart Peel said...

Absolutely, I'm now fully revealed. But I can still carry on my crime fighting activities just as before. Or maybe this is just like Superman 2, and eventually I'll have to erase everyone's memory and re-assume my old powers?

Stevyn Colgan said...

Making smells is NOT a superpower, Mr Peel. Or can I call you Emma?

Stevyn Colgan said...

Hi Willow - they'll love it, promise! And I just fancied a change of pic.

Stuart Peel said...

You can call me Emma, but that's extra.

punk in writing said...

I'm really looking forward to this one. I've read the comics and I loved the first Hellboy movie.

Now I'm just gonna have to be patient until it opens over here. Trouble is, I have the patience of a five year old when it comes to important things like books and movies.

Is it here yet? Is it here yet?

Spud said...

glad you paid attention to that embargo. It was fooking great though.

Stevyn Colgan said...

Punky - You will freakin' love it.

Spud - You already did!

Blog Princess G said...

Dangit, after such a review, now I have to see the first one... don't I? I will if I have to!