Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Five Questions

I've been tagged with one of those 'Five Question' things. So here we go ...

What were you doing 10 years ago?

10 years ago I was trying to launch a British small press comics company called Bigger Betty. We went to UKCAC98 - the UK Comic Art Convention in Manchester and had a great show. My partner in this venture was artist James Murphy and we had some great talent involved including Dan Schaffer, who went on to create Dogwitch, and Sarwat Chadda, now a serious author in his own right. We also had industry support with artwork and covers by Frank Quitely, Mike Kaluta, Kelvin Cox, Jez Elford, Tom Carney and Ian Gibson. Sadly, the finances didn't pan out and we had to fold. But a great time and a brilliant bunch of guys to be involved with. We're all still mates.

What would you do if you were a billionaire?

I'd pay off all of my family's various mortgages and debts and fund an enormous party for all my friends. I'd buy a house for each for my three kids (the property ladder is a bugger to get onto) and I'd pay a hitman to wipe out the person who invented the Child Support Agency. They made my life hell some 15 years ago and are now doing the same to my brother even though, in both cases, our wives left us and we care desperately about our kids. Bastards. Also, on a brighter note, I'd make an album. Entirely selfish I know but I've been writing songs for years and, barring some half-finished pieces that my friend Huw Williams and I recorded 2 years ago, all I have are rough home recordings. It would be nice to get Huw and some session musicians in to lay this particular fantasy to rest. I can hear how they should all sound in my head.

What were the last five books you read?

Peter Kay - The Sound of Laughter
Catherine Caufield - The man who ate Bluebottles (and other great British eccentrics)
Dixe Wills - The Z to Z of Great Britain
Robin Cooper - The Timewaster Diaries
Bryan Talbot - Alice in Sunderland

What are five jobs you have had?

Police officer
Potato picker
Chef
Petrol Pump Attendant
University Lecturer in Metacognition

What are five places where you have lived?

Penzance, Cornwall
Helston, Cornwall
Ealing, London
Wembley, Middlesex
High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

So there you go. Bizarre wording on some of the questions but heigh ho.

2 comments:

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

A policeman? You were a policeman? And a potato picker? AND....a chef? From cooks to crooks, I see...

Good heavens, talk about tinker taylor soldier spy!

Interesting Billionaire list....somewhat ironic that a former copper would hire an assasin, wouldn't you say? (tee hee)...

Stevyn Colgan said...

Actually ... I still am a policeman and have been working in the wonderful city of London for very nearly 30 years. But only for a few more months. My 30 years is nearly up and I'm counting down the last few pay packets to retirement. My plan was to take a year out to develop my writing before seeking new employment. But events unexpectedly overtook me and now I have to do two jobs simultaneously. The book launch in October also sees me launch a new phase in my life. Can't wait!

Is it any wonder I look so old and tired?